Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Estes nose cone to fit in PSII Leviathan?
Question 
Does anyone know (please don't guess--I can do that) of a nose cone that fits correctly in an Estes Leviathan? I want a nose cone that is easily modified to build an AV bay inside the shoulder/coupler, and the sloping edge of the actual Leviathan NC makes that difficult.

So if you have purchased a replacement, non-Estes NC for your Leviathan and know that it fits, please clue me in. Thanks.
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
BMS can make a custom one and you can glue a paper coupler to the base.  You can even hollow it out as needed.
Exemptions not regulations. Please purchase a few rockets from http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm
Thanks. Support eliminating explosive treatment of slow burning solids by DOT.
The above is true. The under 3" tubes are odd balls that mo one else uses. So if you are looking for a plastic NC it is Estes or nothing.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
http://www.countylinehobbies.com
Like us on Facebook
Here's my response from over on *GASP* TRF :wink:

Quote:One thing you could do with your existing Leviathan NC (or the PNC-300K for that matter) is to cut off the rear of the existing shoulder and that sloping notch in it. 
Then make a coupler to fit inside that. From there, you can mount your AV bay inside that coupler. If you have additional coupler material available, you could use that to fill the gap between the top edge of the notch and the bottom edge of the new (inner) coupler.

There's more info on the PNC-300K... You can find it here.

I posted it here just so that should something ever happen to TRF, the info isn't lost.
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Thanks.  Even the BM NC has the sloped bottom, and I am not thrilled about having to make a coupler.  In fact, that's what I tried with the actual Estes cone, and it didn't work out too well.

I have inquired with Brandon at Apogee to see if this will fit.
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
You can readily make a coupler from a section of tube.  Cut out a section and glue the ends together with epoxy or superglue.  You can accurately measure the circumference of the coupler before gluing to get it right with a flexible ruler, like used in fashion. Another even smaller coupler can be made as needed by the same method.

Tech Jerry

http://v-serv.com/usr/tubecut.htm

http://v-serv.com/usr/pubs/air4.htm

(06-22-2015, 09:06 AM)K Wrote: Here's my response from over on *GASP* TRF :wink:

Quote:One thing you could do with your existing Leviathan NC (or the PNC-300K for that matter) is to cut off the rear of the existing shoulder and that sloping notch in it. 
Then make a coupler to fit inside that. From there, you can mount your AV bay inside that coupler. If you have additional coupler material available, you could use that to fill the gap between the top edge of the notch and the bottom edge of the new (inner) coupler.

There's more info on the PNC-300K... You can find it here.

I posted it here just so that should something ever happen to TRF, the info isn't lost.

Based on the image listed there the Estes and BMS plastic cones look to be the same shoulder size.  Is that actually right?  If not what diameter base and shoulder do each have?
Exemptions not regulations. Please purchase a few rockets from http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm
Thanks. Support eliminating explosive treatment of slow burning solids by DOT.
The Estes and BMS cones are not the same in the shoulder area totally. The BMS cone is a bit longer by about 1/8" and the sloped portion is actually less on the BMS cone resulting in a longer shoulder.

The BMS cone is on the left the Estes cone on the Right, there shouldn't be a need for an additional coupler on the BMS cone as the shoulder would be about .75" longer than the Estes one if the sloped sections were removed. If the sloped section is cut off the BMS cone the shoulder will be exactly 2" (no additional coupler really needed) , if the sloped section is removed from the Estes nose cone the shoulder is about 1.15" (addtional coupler needed).

I believe the BMS nose cone and the Apogee nose cone are the same one.
Wow, that helps a lot. I think that may be the winner!
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
I just happen to have a Scion kit and the BMS PNC-300K I recieved for Fathers Day so side by side comparisons are easy. I also believe that BMS, Apogee, and Mercury Engineering all offer the very same nose cone. My plan is to use the Scions (Estes NC) for a scale MIM-104 Patriot based on the ProSeries Patriot, the PNC-300 on the Scion or an upscale of the Aries SST, and then order another PNC-300 and T-300 airframe to build the Scion or maybe a Lightweight BSD Thor for flying on Mid power.
Next question ... considering I need to cut off the bottom, what is a good way to do that and get a straight cut? I suppose I can slide it into the airframe and draw a Sharpie line around it. Then try to cut on the line.

I have a miter saw, and a hand-held hobby saw. Which one would you use?
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA