Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Estes nose cone to fit in PSII Leviathan?
I generally mark a line using the tube and then use a Dremel with a cut-off wheel.
Member of MDRA, NAR and NARHAMS;
Level-2 certified but mostly fly G and under;
Volunteer compiler of manufacturer's news for ROCKETS Magazine.
If you've got a scrap of body tube, or several wraps of masking tape (protecting the area you want to preserve), you can free hand it with an Xacto knife. Instead of cutting it (with the sharp edge) you use the back edge of an older (broken tip) blade and scrape around it. I've used this method to create panel lines for rockets like the Pro Series Jayhawk (removing the unrealistic (and overly thick) raised line that separates the black portion from the orange portion), and the tail cones of my Velociraptor downscales. Once you've got enough removed that will act as a guide, you can then cut it with a saw or a cutting wheel.
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

I use a scrap of airframe around the tube near the cut to keep the NC from being tilted against the fence of my compound power miter saw and then cut it straight every time.
Good ideas. Thanks.

Now if I could just get Balsa Machining to ship my stuff....
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
Balsa Machining used to be really cool - then they stopped machining balsa...
Phill Ash
Secretary - SouthEastern Virginia Rocketry Association (SEVRA)
2015 Tot Impulse: 1398.8 Ns (L2, 45 Flights, 57 Motors)
2016 Tot Impulse: 190.3 Ns (L2, 14 Flights, 16 Motors)

(06-24-2015, 08:04 PM)phlash Wrote: Balsa Machining used to be really cool - then they stopped machining balsa...

Not really, he just doesn't do custom work anymore. I believe he still makes all the balsa nose cones and transitions he sells.
(06-24-2015, 01:55 PM)Bat-mite Wrote: Good ideas. Thanks.

Now if I could just get Balsa Machining to ship my stuff....

Funny, they shipped about five minutes after I posted that. I am not impressed, however, with the way it went down. I will say it is my fault, and I'm not bashing. But I ordered a nose cone one night, and the next day it hadn't shipped yet, so I ordered a CR. I was hoping they would see two orders from the same customer and combine shipping, and refund the extra $6. But they actually shipped two packages with different tracking numbers.

Like I said, my fault--I should have called. But I've had other vendors catch that and combine the shipping and do the refund (One Bad Hawk, Rocketry Warehouse, Doghouse Rocketry).
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
(06-24-2015, 08:22 PM)rharshberger Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 08:04 PM)phlash Wrote: Balsa Machining used to be really cool - then they stopped machining balsa...

Not really, he just doesn't do custom work anymore. I believe he still makes all the balsa nose cones and transitions he sells.

They don't do one-off custom work.  Need 10?  Yes. They are one of my top 5 suppliers for fun/easy to work with.
Exemptions not regulations. Please purchase a few rockets from http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm
Thanks. Support eliminating explosive treatment of slow burning solids by DOT.
(06-25-2015, 03:16 PM)Rocketman Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 08:22 PM)rharshberger Wrote:

They don't do one-off custom work.  Need 10?  Yes. They are one of my top 5 suppliers for fun/easy to work with.

Good to know that last bit, not that I really ever need 10 of a nose cone or transition very often. But then as a vendor/manufacturer you probably need them a hundred at a time sometimes.