Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Community/Competition Build?
Here's an idea...  Perhaps the forums could vote on some OOP rocket that's not to hard too clone, then do a group build?

Might be fun.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Sounds like a fun Idea. What would the Competition part be?
(06-18-2015, 10:13 PM)TopRamen Wrote: Sounds like a fun Idea. What would the Competition part be?

Best In Show...  We build 'em, then photograph them, and vote...  you can't vote for your own.  Most votes wins.
NAR #100544

How easy or hard do you want this to be?

Estes Goblin, Astron Ranger, Intercontinental Transport, Mars Lander, Saturn V?

Should one build as close as possible to the original, or is innovation encouraged?
--
NAR / TRA
Level 1 - Estes Leviathan - CTI 164-H90 Classic
Level 2 - MadCow Sensor - CTI 716-J280-16A Smokey Sam
(06-24-2015, 06:35 PM)Right Wing Wacko Wrote: How easy or hard do you want this to be?  

Estes Goblin,  Astron Ranger,  Intercontinental Transport,  Mars Lander,  Saturn V?

Should one build as close as possible to the original, or is innovation encouraged?

Visually, they should either be unmistakeable for the originals, or so far out in left field that everyone just shakes their heads and wonders why they didn't think of that.  Structurally, build 'em to the silliest motor you'd put in 'em
Phill Ash
Secretary - SouthEastern Virginia Rocketry Association (SEVRA)
2015 Tot Impulse: 1398.8 Ns (L2, 45 Flights, 57 Motors)
2016 Tot Impulse: 190.3 Ns (L2, 14 Flights, 16 Motors)

I've got an idea... I started this... I guess I should pick the rocket: The Estes Omega.  Your choice of versions: the K-52P (payload version), or the K-52 with Cineroc or CinerocDV payloads.

How does these rules sound?:

Modifications are OK (e.g.: Crazy big motors, TTW, Increasing the LL to accommodate larger motors/launch rods all acceptable).  

Goony/upscale/downscale builds are acceptable, but are judged separately 

Original parts are OK (nosecone, Cineroc, and/or decals, etc) but not a full kit.  Commercially available kits/decals are OK for parts, but the external specs must be adhered too. (Warning: Semroc's reproduction has larger fins, and the payload isn't accurate).

Must be a new build, so no going and using something already built.  Previously worked parts (e.g.: recycled parachutes/nosecones, or previously sanded nosecones) are Ok.

Photo documentation that shows the build in progress (but doesn't need to be step by step).  

Each contestant starts their own build thread.

Competition starts at the first of the month, rockets must be finished by the first of the next month.  Voting period ends on the 15th of that month.  Only competitors get to vote.

You cannot vote for your own rocket... Clearly, yours is the best, but do others agree?

If DSR or nismerf agree, they get to officiate the competition.  Judges cannot compete (but can build if they want).

Winner gets the satisfaction of being recognized...  Unless someone wants to sponsor the competition with prizes.

Does this work for you all?
NAR #100544

I like the idea, but I'd second Phill's take and suggest putting all variations on the theme (upscale, downscale, gooney-ized, bashed/mashed, etc.) in the same pot. This forum is still small, we want to generate all the activity we can. This also lets us forget about accuracy considerations in the judging. I also vote for voting by poll as long as we can tell you didn't vote for your own (cue for somebody who knows how polls work to speak up).

Hehe I have partial sets parts for a couple of standard size Omegas...is there extra credit for multiples? ...hmmmm... though a 4" upscale (built as single stage) would rock the house on a K. Sadly the booster isn't long enough for easy HPR staging, it would need trickery like a chute cannon and avbay tubes alongside the MMT.
Dave Cook 
NAR 21953 L2    TRA 1108
(06-25-2015, 09:32 PM)caveduck Wrote:   ...hmmmm...  though a 4" upscale (built as single stage) would rock the house on a K.  Sadly the booster isn't long enough for easy HPR staging, it would need trickery like a chute cannon and avbay tubes alongside the MMT.

There should be room for a 2 Grain CTI motor in the booster, and a 4 or maybe even a 5 grain in the sustainer.
Put a J1055 VMAX in that booster and watch it fly away.  The problem is with the way this bird fly's, you'll be wanting dual deployment of some type.

EDIT:  Whoops... I forgot that HP would require some sort of recovery for the booster.   Yep, would be hard to fit that in.
--
NAR / TRA
Level 1 - Estes Leviathan - CTI 164-H90 Classic
Level 2 - MadCow Sensor - CTI 716-J280-16A Smokey Sam
(06-25-2015, 09:32 PM)caveduck Wrote: I like the idea, but I'd second Phill's take and suggest putting all variations on the theme (upscale, downscale, gooney-ized, bashed/mashed, etc.) in the same pot.  This forum is still small, we want to generate all the activity we can.  This also lets us forget about accuracy considerations in the judging.  I also vote for voting by poll as long as we can tell you didn't vote for your own (cue for somebody who knows how polls work to speak up).

Hehe I have partial sets parts for a couple of standard size Omegas...is there extra credit for multiples?   ...hmmmm...  though a 4" upscale (built as single stage) would rock the house on a K.  Sadly the booster isn't long enough for easy HPR staging, it would need trickery like a chute cannon and avbay tubes alongside the MMT.

Activity or eyeballs/members?

http://v-serv.com/usr/images/usrkits.family.jpg
Exemptions not regulations. Please purchase a few rockets from http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm
Thanks. Support eliminating explosive treatment of slow burning solids by DOT.
Both - they reinforce each other.

Return to topic - who's in?? I suspect that K'tesh has somewhere around 11 Omegas in various stages of construction. Knowing the dimensions from memory is a seriously unfair advantage Smile I just have some BMS nose cones, a couple of random BT-60's and some crackly but original decals.
Dave Cook 
NAR 21953 L2    TRA 1108