Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The 2015 Newton Tally Thread
Big Grin 
This is modeled on the Bike Commuting Mileage Thread I was involved with over on bikeforums.

[EDIT] This is NOT a competition. This is a convenient way for our members to keep track of the number of Newtons we've burned as a community, with the goal of seeing how large of a rocket we could have launched if we had pooled our resources together. [/EDIT]

How it works. One person starts. They write their name down, followed by a few periods, then post their total newtons burned this year.

The next person copies the list, and only if they have burned more newtons adds their name above the previous entry (then the periods, then the total newtons). If they burned less, their name goes below.

Say that a 3rd person has burned more than the first, but less than the second. They first copy the list, then sandwich their name in (with the periods, and total newtons).

When a person has burned more newtons than their previous record, they copy the list, and move their name according to where they now stand, and update their total.  Optional information such as your current level, the number of launches you've done, and/or motors burned in tests can be included in parenthesis.

Example... I start the list.

K'Tesh ...................... 7.0 Ns (L0, 1 motor, 1 launch)

Then TopRamen joins in. He's burned more than me. So, he copies the list, then adds his name and score above mine.

TopRamen ................... 25.0 Ns
K'Tesh ...................... 7.0 Ns (L01 motor, 1 launch)

Next comes along rstaff3, and he has 2.5 Ns. He copies the most recent copy of the list, and sandwiches in his name and score.

rstaff3 .................... 14.0 Ns
K'Tesh ...................... 7.0 Ns (L01 motor, 1 launch)

Oh, but I finally launch a few, and now I've got 51.0 Ns. So, I copy the list, find my new space, and update my score.

K'Tesh ..................... 51.0 Ns (L01 motor, 1 launch)
rstaff3 .................... 14.0 Ns

Now, let's say that a team effort would like to add their Newtons. I'd propose that they use the tag "Team" then the name of the project (e.g a TARC team) and location (if applicable) . Team members shouldn't claim team acquired Newtons as their own, but can note them with their totals.

Team Cineroc ............... 75.0 Ns  (7 motors, 2 launches)(PDX.edu)
K'Tesh ..................... 51.0 Ns  (L01 motor, 1 launch)(+75.0 Ns, Team Cineroc)
rstaff3 .................... 14.0 Ns

And so on. Just remember to copy the most recent copy of the list. Paste it into your response (as plain text) then change the font to "Courier New", Then if needed add the additional periods to your (and other's totals) to help keep the list readable.

Of course, this depends completely on the honesty of  people involved, but as there's no prizes, there's no point in lying.

Now Newton needs to get burned. So, let's get started.

Happy 2015!
Jim

With that, I'll get this ball rolling.

K'Tesh ...................... 68.0 Ns (L0, 4 motor, 4 launches)
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Oh, lord, really? No, really not. Forums are for communicating, not for compiling a database. Put up a web site or start a wiki or something if this kind of thing floats your boat. Or, I know, put up a Google document with shared editing. It's free, it's easy, it's appropriate use of online tools. Here it's just clutter.
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
I will add it feels like you are trying to export TRF methods to this forum.  We need less thread propagation and fewer permanently non-dying threads, word games, what did you fly today, etc.

I feel.
Exemptions not regulations. Please purchase a few rockets from http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm
Thanks. Support eliminating explosive treatment of slow burning solids by DOT.
Count me in agreement. If you want TRF, hang out at TRF. I'm okay with the low post volume here because the signal to noise ratio is superior to the other two forums. Don't try to drag their garbage here.
(06-21-2015, 07:58 PM)Rocketman Wrote: I will add it feels like you are trying to export TRF methods to this forum.  We need less thread propagation and fewer permanently non-dying threads, word games, what did you fly today, etc.

I feel.

One of the very few reasons I ever visit TRF are for K'Tesh's threads on OpenRocket parts, designs and tutorials. Freaking excellent work, now that is the sort of non-dying thread content that I would love to see exported here!
AMRS #54
WARS #24
(06-21-2015, 10:59 PM)Viking Wrote:
(06-21-2015, 07:58 PM)Rocketman Wrote: I will add it feels like you are trying to export TRF methods to this forum.  We need less thread propagation and fewer permanently non-dying threads, word games, what did you fly today, etc.

I feel.

One of the very few reasons I ever visit TRF are for K'Tesh's threads on OpenRocket parts, designs and tutorials. Freaking excellent work, now that is the sort of non-dying thread content that I would love to see exported here!

Thanks Viking!

As for the rest of you who feel that I'm trying to export TRF to here, you're right and your wrong.

I thought that this was going to be a place where we could share our love for the hobby without the fear that has come from the methods of the owners/operators of TRF.

Here I'm feeling like a punching bag.  I don't like that, and I don't think that this is what the DSR had in mind when he opened this forum.  Until I feel that the vibe here has changed, I don't think I'll stick around.  TRF has its flaws, but is a HELL of a lot more welcoming.
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

You want to talk rockets, talk rockets.  You want off topic garbage and gamesmanship, maybe you're better off at TRF.  Like Scott said at YORF the other day, if more than 80% of your posts in a rocketry forum are in the off topic area, maybe you are in the wrong place.  Threads like this are iffy in my eyes.  I'm not interested, but I can see that others may be.  The fact that it's just another piece of TRF clogging the pipes is what bothers me.  Flush.
Gentlemen we cant please everyone, there are going to be "rocketry related" discussions your not interested in, Don't read it! I am not much for gliders but i made a forum for them. yes a topic you think is silly may forever float to top Sorry!

In Forum category, Rocketry Related topics are open, Complaining about them....NOT

This post might belong in another category, we may need to create another category for this type of topic. Complaining about it in the forum does NOT belong!

If you find a post that is out of category PM a MOD
From what I've read, the admins here have as one of their chief motivations a desire to have a forum not cluttered with off topic posts. "But," I hear you say, "this is on topic!" True enough. But it's not posts. Not really. It's using the posting mechanism to do something it was not designed or meant to do: Build a database. 

This is not something that I'm interested in, but for those who are, there are (as I said) better tools for the job: Write a simple web app, or just use a Google doc or spreadsheet with shared editing.

Over on TRF, the 2015 Newton tally thread has about 50 participants. I don't know how many active members TRF has, but they claim about 22000 members; last time I looked there were about 400 online, and they say the largest number ever online at once was somewhere north of 1000. So I would guess a minimum of 2500 active members. Then the 50 Newton tally participants represent a maximum of 2% of the active members. For the other 98%+, that thread is just another piece of clutter to trip over, again and again and again, when they log in to see what's new.

Now, maybe they don't mind. The thing is, a lot of the people who've joined up here are people who do mind; people who don't use TRF, not (only) because of current dissatisfaction with the admins and owners, but (also) because of ongoing distaste for the kinds of activity — word games, inane topics, and perpetual threads — that characterize it. 

To repeat something I've said before, it's silly to think there should be one forum for all rocketeers. What you want is different from what I want, and it's not an attack on you to say "let's do things differently on this forum". If your temperament is better suited to TRF, then great — you have what you want, and you don't need Rocketry Center.

There are two national rocketry associations in the US, because different people have different ideas of what a rocketry association should be, and I think that's great. Likewise I think there can and should be multiple online forums reflecting different goals and ideals. TRF, YORF, Sagitta Cantina, and Rocketry Center. I participate in only two of these, but I'd like to see them all flourish, and be different. One and only one of them should be TRF.

Oh, and currently Rocketry Center has 187 members. I would guess most of them, say 120 or so, are active so far. So you could probably expect about 2 participants in this thread, if it's as popular here as it is on TRF.

(06-22-2015, 08:05 AM)nismerf Wrote: Gentlemen we cant please everyone, there are going to be "rocketry related" discussions your not interested in, Don't read it! I am not much for gliders but i made a forum for them. yes a topic you think is silly may forever float to top Sorry!

In Forum category, Rocketry Related topics are open, Complaining about them....NOT

This post might belong in another category, we may need to create another category for this type of topic. Complaining about it in the forum does NOT belong!

If you find a post that is out of category PM a MOD

Respectfully, I disagree. "If you're not interested, don't read it" is the standard excuse for off-topic threads and forums on the other sites. You regard such threads and forums as clutter, and you prohibit them, as is your right.

It's also your right to decide whether threads like this one are to be permitted and/or encouraged. I consider them clutter and would prefer it if your policy were to prohibit or discourage them, but it's up to you. 

I'm done with this thread, no more complaining about it from me.
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
(06-22-2015, 01:28 AM)K Wrote: Thanks Viking!
You're welcome, it really is great stuff.
Newton tally tho, not so much.
AMRS #54
WARS #24