Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The 2015 Newton Tally Thread
(06-22-2015, 01:28 AM)K Wrote: Here I'm feeling like a punching bag.  I don't like that, and I don't think that this is what the DSR had in mind when he opened this forum.  Until I feel that the vibe here has changed, I don't think I'll stick around.  TRF has its flaws, but is a HELL of a lot more welcoming.

Since I seem to be the one doing the punching I just want to say my objection is not with you or your posts, but process.  A list-server, which this is a version of, can have anybody post anything subject to moderation, but self moderating a couple of variables is what I was shooting for.

One is thread propagation.  Having several new threads a day from one or two users is an indication of excessive thread propagation.  One wonders why those posts cannot be posted to an existing thread or why the threads themselves cannot be combined.  This is a point of discussion and reflection not some sort of command from on high.

Some threads on TRF exist for the purpose of raising post count.  It has the side effect of being click-bait which is good for the site's advertising revenue, so the site owner has a disincentive to moderate it.  This site is not ad or click driven.  It is content driven.

So please do not take my comments personally.  But consider my words and after that, do anything you want.  I do.

Jerry
Exemptions not regulations. Please purchase a few rockets from http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm
Thanks. Support eliminating explosive treatment of slow burning solids by DOT.
After reading the above posts it is our impression the OP was genuinely excited about an idea that has worked for him on other (non rocketry) forums in the past. We don't view this as his intent to load the forum with fluff to rack up post counts.

That being said, we understand and appreciate the concerns raised by several of you as to the relevance/implementation of this idea. 

As you know, we are trying for a fresh start here. Our aim is to keep posts relevant and on topic as much as much is humanely possible, which is why we have stated there will not be an off topic section in this forum. There will at times certainly be some grey areas when it comes to determining what content is relevant as related to model rocketry, as some of that is subjective. Some will feel certain content to be relevant, others will disagree.

As nismerf said, expressing a different of opinion on rocketry related issues is fine. When folks have concerns/opinions they wish to convey regarding a post they are certainly welcome to do so. That's what open forums are all about!  In doing so all we would ask is that you respond without directing your concerns at the poster, making him/her feel unwelcome here, which is apparently how this came across to the OP in this case. All are welcome here.

As an alternative to a public post, how about sending a PM conveying your concerns to the poster which only takes a few seconds more than responding in a thread, and often can lead to rapid resolution/clarification of concerns as you are dealing with them in a one on one scenario?

Understanding that written text can’t convey feelings/emotion perhaps we could all give a little more thought to the way our opinions/concerns are expressed going forward.

Thanks for your consideration!

DSR

(06-22-2015, 11:18 AM)Rocketman Wrote:
(06-22-2015, 01:28 AM)K Wrote: Here I'm feeling like a punching bag.  I don't like that, and I don't think that this is what the DSR had in mind when he opened this forum.  Until I feel that the vibe here has changed, I don't think I'll stick around.  TRF has its flaws, but is a HELL of a lot more welcoming.

Since I seem to be the one doing the punching I just want to say my objection is not with you or your posts, but process.  A list-server, which this is a version of, can have anybody post anything subject to moderation, but self moderating a couple of variables is what I was shooting for.

One is thread propagation.  Having several new threads a day from one or two users is an indication of excessive thread propagation.  One wonders why those posts cannot be posted to an existing thread or why the threads themselves cannot be combined.  This is a point of discussion and reflection not some sort of command from on high.

Some threads on TRF exist for the purpose of raising post count.  It has the side effect of being click-bait which is good for the site's advertising revenue, so the site owner has a disincentive to moderate it.  This site is not ad or click driven.  It is content driven.

So please do not take my comments personally.  But consider my words and after that, do anything you want.  I do.

Jerry

That was very well put Jerry.
DSR
I post my Nsec totals over on TRF and I tag 'em in my sigline. I also maintain, if I do say so myself, a pretty bitchin Club Database. If you want to know my numbers (or anyone in SEVRA's), just ask.
Phill Ash
Secretary - SouthEastern Virginia Rocketry Association (SEVRA)
2015 Tot Impulse: 1398.8 Ns (L2, 45 Flights, 57 Motors)
2016 Tot Impulse: 190.3 Ns (L2, 14 Flights, 16 Motors)

(06-22-2015, 11:57 AM)phlash Wrote: I post my Nsec totals over on TRF and I tag 'em in my sigline.  I also maintain, if I do say so myself, a pretty bitchin Club Database.  If you want to know my numbers (or anyone in SEVRA's), just ask.

I'm curious...
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

(06-22-2015, 12:18 PM)K Wrote:
(06-22-2015, 11:57 AM)phlash Wrote: I post my Nsec totals over on TRF and I tag 'em in my sigline.  I also maintain, if I do say so myself, a pretty bitchin Club Database.  If you want to know my numbers (or anyone in SEVRA's), just ask.

I'm curious...

I start by entering the flight card data

If the launch date hasn't been 'started', I have a dialog for that

Adding an unrecognized user has its own dialog but it's pretty mundane.
I can add the flight

and once all the cards are entered, I can generate a couple of different reports (as well as raffle tickets for the end-of-year party)

Phill Ash
Secretary - SouthEastern Virginia Rocketry Association (SEVRA)
2015 Tot Impulse: 1398.8 Ns (L2, 45 Flights, 57 Motors)
2016 Tot Impulse: 190.3 Ns (L2, 14 Flights, 16 Motors)

I log my flights using rocketreviews.com's flight logs facility

http://www.rocketreviews.com/flight-logs.html

and it accumulates statistics for me:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/stats-for-2015-2737.html
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
(06-22-2015, 12:18 PM)K Wrote:

I'm curious...

As a result of this thread you gave me a negative nit. Sad First and only.
Exemptions not regulations. Please purchase a few rockets from http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm
When it comes to N-s counts sometimes one poster has a seemingly unfair advantage.  For example I did a firing of 17,000 lb thrust for 12 sec. My math says that is 907,392 Newton-Seconds (a T for the NAR letter class challenged). I suppose if I note the 2 packs of 1/2A motors I use to test a particular kit this week, I will add a spectacular 10 Newton-seconds.  I suppose it is a matter of taste which is more fun.  But it is clear which is more useful. It is also clear which has more "roar".

Jerry
K'Tesh ................... 949.7 Ns (L1 13 motors, 13 flights)
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.