other
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edmonds Aerospace Glider
After another rocketeer demonstrated a simple glider at a club launch, I was somewhat fascinate by the idea of building one out of balsa that was never then painted or "finished".

Later, I realized he had scaled up a smaller one,  but first I had to shop at Edmonds Aerospace to see 1) What was available, and 2) what matched the various smaller motors that I had to burn off.

I settled on ordering three.... a Deltie, a Cici and a Dede.  The total was about $20 and I learned a lot.
I found I didn't like pod-assisted launches anywhere near as much as the simple Cici which allowed the motor to be inserted and ejected out when burned.  By increasing the motor from A to B to C... I could get incredibly long glides in long lazy circles that drifted down range in the slight breeze.

I'd have to say the best time to launch would be on those still days with no breeze because of this... but still, as long as I had eyes on the glider when it touched down, I didn't mind walking an 1/8 to a 1/4 mile to retrieve it from a farmer's field.
I love my Cici, but I don't seem to fly it like I once did. The cozy confines of B6-4 Field are just a bit too cozy, or maybe I'm getting old. I've also got a Tinee which I figured would be a better choice for my small field, but I've yet to get much of a glide out of it, mostly due to the hammer-like ejection charges in the Estes engines these days. By the time it recovers from the ejection charge it's only about fifteen feet off the ground, which doesn't make for satisfying glides.
(06-22-2015, 03:06 PM)Bill Eichelberger Wrote: I love my Cici, but I don't seem to fly it like I once did.  The cozy confines of B6-4 Field are just a bit too cozy, or maybe I'm getting old.  I've also got a Tinee which I figured would be a better choice for my small field, but I've yet to get much of a glide out of it, mostly due to the hammer-like ejection charges in the Estes engines these days.  By the time it recovers from the ejection charge it's only about fifteen feet off the ground, which doesn't make for satisfying glides.

How sad!
We need to get you out there with a pack of motors to try that Cici on a very calm day!
Nothing more sad than an unused rocket glider just collecting dust.
(07-08-2015, 05:11 PM)Kirk G Wrote:
(06-22-2015, 03:06 PM)Bill Eichelberger Wrote: I love my Cici, but I don't seem to fly it like I once did.  The cozy confines of B6-4 Field are just a bit too cozy, or maybe I'm getting old.  I've also got a Tinee which I figured would be a better choice for my small field, but I've yet to get much of a glide out of it, mostly due to the hammer-like ejection charges in the Estes engines these days.  By the time it recovers from the ejection charge it's only about fifteen feet off the ground, which doesn't make for satisfying glides.

How sad!
We need to get you out there with a pack of motors to try that Cici on a very calm day!
Nothing more sad than an unused rocket glider just collecting dust.

I just need to get out, PERIOD!  The way the weather has been here I've been spending the dry days cutting grass because of the prodigious rainfall.  There's a big field launch this Saturday, but it coincides with a family function that I'd feel bad about missing.  I had big plans for 2015.  Thus far I'm less than thrilled with the results.
Bill, you hit the nail on the head with your statement about having big plans for this summer, but the weather and other circumstances stifling them...
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
I wish I could answer the poll with CiCi but since eRockets never sent me the one I ordered, I have no idea.
Living life dangerously...launching C's on a B field.
my favorite gliders are the Flat Cat, the Deltie Thunder and Deltie mini. I've had a 8 1/2 m in glide on my Thunder on a F-12-3 reload also works great on an estes D-12-1 (don't ask how I make it a 1 second delay)
(07-20-2015, 11:32 AM)oddmanrockets Wrote: my favorite gliders are the Flat Cat, the Deltie Thunder and Deltie mini. I've had a 8 1/2 m in glide on my Thunder on a F-12-3 reload also works great on an estes D-12-1 (don't ask how I make it a 1 second delay)

How about if we "demand" that you tell us how to make it a 1 second delay?   Smile
Lee
NAR 55948, L2
In Build:   Estes Saturn 1B
Next: complete Semroc Mars Lander, upscaled Orbital Transport
In Finishing:  Interceptor-E