Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Inspiration behind the Der Red Max rocket? History?
Whatever the origin of the Der Red Max one thing is for certain, our hobby lost a lot when estes changed.

The neat story lines that were attached to the package of kits was part of the allure of rockets at least for Me! My kids even notice the new stuff, Other than Fliskits have none of that i have seen. 

my favorite sticker on the red max "mitten Grabben" hahahahahha That was funny stuff.

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever
Like this?

http://www.astrodigital.org/digital/achtung.html
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
After shopping around, I found on eBay a completed kit that had been modified to fly D or E motors. I debated awhile, and discovering that all the MEGA Der Red Max had been sold, and the Der Red Max were all skill level One, I opted to bid and buy it. The original builder was very open about what he had changed and why. He added some modeling clay in the nosecone to shift the CG forward of the CP, and strengthened the fins with epoxy fillets, plywood fins, the larger motor mount (of course) and replaced the rubber shock cord with a kevlar cord. He included the original parts that were replaced, and the motor clip and original parachute as well as a larger mylar one. So, except for attaching the nosecone with the cord and attaching a chute, this is virtually ready to fly. Do you think his modifications make sense? The paint job is excellent, and all the decals are in place and look great! Comments please?
I flew the Der Red Max on a D12-5 this weekend, and noticed to my shock that an upper launch lug has been sheared off. There's a little bare paper from the tube visible underneath. But I don't have the missing launch lug, nor the color paint that had been used.

I THINK I have a spare or extra launch lug or soda straw available, so I can replace it, but what would you suggest I do? Fillets? Wood Glue? CA? Red Paint? Black?(That more likely to match)
I like the Der Red Max model, but since I found it a bit too flimsy, (I feared loosing or breaking a fin or denting the tube with the shock cord), and I had a new launch pad (6 feet 1010 rail), I ended up designing a Der Tough Max. It is a heavier built an more resistent brother ! Here it is:

[Image: 20151012_150528.jpg]

Features include:

- Birch plywood fins (a bit larger than original)
- Epoxy fillets with drilled holes in the tube for added strength
- Rail launch lugs
- 24 x 100 mm motor tube
- Screw on motor retainer
- Doubling tube thickness a the top
- Nose weight (needed because of design)
- A parachute rest inside the tube
- 200lb kevlar line, quick link, 15 inch nylon chute and chute protector

I quite like the result! Maybe I should have named it Der Pimped Max. Tongue

I have the Open Rocket file if anyone is interested.

I'm thinking of getting my L1 on a Big Max sometime Smile
Looks like a beast!
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
Those monster rail lugs just ADD "Something" to it i just cant put my finger on...... NICE!!

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever
(10-22-2015, 08:51 AM)wclune Wrote: Those monster rail lugs just ADD "Something" to it i just cant put my finger on...... NICE!!

I guess it adds "Serious", "Solid" or "Means Business" Smile

I like their effect too!

I hope I can do a nice paint job on this Smile
In the early 70's every kid wanted one of these:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Finally put some decals on the carbon fiber Estes Mega DRM, I built a few years ago... only the white decals as the black ones don't show up very well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)