Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DD ignorence
I generally agree with all that. Switches are the better route. Starting out though, if you avoid the bounce while twisting it makes wiring things a bit easier. Also if you don't have access to a soldering gun, more reliable.

With my screech, I was building the sled last minute, and had a MARSA in a 2.6" coupler. With the 9volt on the back, not much real estate left. I do intend to get a switch in there at some point. I don't think twist and tape is a long term technique, but it works when needed, and keeps things simple
if you go with a RRC2+, which I recommend, you can also get a screw switch from missileworks. that switch can be soldered in or you can put the wire under each mounting screw to connect.

here is a simple setup with a LIPO, RRC2+ and a screw switch. no need for you to use a LIPO battery, a 9v will be fine.

[Image: UmjTwxdCvNeMrFFn6Zcd-0v_6mA6ku-lvIGnpe5n...90-h667-no]
Riley Keller
URRG
TRA#15415
L1 25 Oct 2014 Estes MDRM CTI H133
L2 25 June 2015 Rocketry Warehouse DYOK, CTI L1030RL 14k ft mach 1.57

I'm addicted to building stuff, rockets are just a way to get highCool
I am almost finished with the altimeter bay on my LOC Weasel. I am using the RRC2+, and, Missile Works 3D printed 38mm sled. Space inside the bay is extremely tight, however, I have just under an inch to either end, in which I need to keep the sled centered. Is it possible, instead of using nuts to hold the sleds position on the all thread, to use something like fuel line tubing, or launch lug tubing, or a combination of the two? I ask, because trying to use nuts, space is so tight the nuts are getting caught, making inserting, and removing the internals difficult.

Thanks, David
I've used launch lug tubing to space sleds....however under high shock loads it will crush....hopefully you dont get high shocks....
As mentioned, the DDC22 from Adept is $10 cheaper than the RRC2+. And it works with twisted wires as a "switch."
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
I'm with David in recommending you avoid using launch lugs to mount your electronics on threaded rods. They can compress under load.
Spend a couple of $ to protect your expensive electronics by using brass/aluminum tubing you can get from hobby shops.
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
This may be a stupid question, but why isn't a place to order an av bay pre built with the components you want?
Seams to me that would a niche market. I know for my first one I would go that way.
Mostly because I know absolutely nothing about electronics.
I can wire a house, and have. I use to rebuild my own engines.
I hate to even open the hood anymore.
It just scares me to start ordering and assembling parts that I have no idea how it works.
And rely on it safely bring back my expensive rocket.
Most everyone know my hobby relies on bottle deposits and scrap metal for income, so it ain't easy to come by.
You can purchase ebays with all of the components, but they will cost you a few more bottles more, to be sure. Wink
I think Apogee has some ebay kits/materials. Most of us wind up using what we can get for reasonable cost.
There are HP rockets that have ebays with aluminum bulkheads and most of the components you need included, but again they will be much more costly than DIY.
If you are not comfortable assembling the componets for an ebay I would suggest you pickup a copy of HP Rocketry 2 by Canepa. His books covers about everything you need to know to be successful flying with electronics, in addition covering levels 1 - 3 in HP rocketry.
His book, and Stine's Model Rocketry book really are the 2 reference books every rocketeer should own, regardless of whether or not they currently have HP certification.
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
Uncle Mikes have HPR2 book
The search for Stein's book yielded many, which one?
It's actually "Stine" as in "G. Harry". The Model Rocket Handbook. Nothing in there about DD, though there are lots of rocket science.
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet