Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USMC Scratchbuild
(07-28-2015, 07:16 AM)Greg Young Wrote: What a clever build Dave! Smile
This has to be one of the most interesting "odd rocks" I have seen.
It shows quite a bit of ingenuity, and thought.
Be sure to get a good video of its launch, along with a lot of pics you can share with us!

Yeah, can you imagine the flight characteristics if I actually tried to fly it with the real uniform on it? It would be like the Xmas tree launch!
Dave Greger L3
NAR# 95846
MDRA #65

Hollie L1
NAR# 99687
It would fly.. The question is what it's trajectory would look like... Wink
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
Term at MDRA is "Cool" or "REALLY COOL"

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever
(07-29-2015, 03:08 PM)wclune Wrote: Term at MDRA is "Cool" or "REALLY COOL"

Well Bill, Hopefully this one doesn't be come a "really cool flight" after the string of mishaps I've had lately!
Dave Greger L3
NAR# 95846
MDRA #65

Hollie L1
NAR# 99687
Fantastic! I look forward to seeing this bird in person one day!

Later!

--Coop
Got the fin template printed and laid out and cutting them tonight, took a bit of tweaking in Rocksim to get them to just the right shape/size. Then on to the fin slots and start on the motor mount. Been slowly getting the av-bay together. will try and remember to snap some pics tonight.
Dave Greger L3
NAR# 95846
MDRA #65

Hollie L1
NAR# 99687
Got the fin slots cut and holes drilled for rail buttons.
Also got the forward CR with U-Bolt epoxied to the MMT.
Next is cut the fins on the band saw and start getting the booster finished.

Dave Greger L3
NAR# 95846
MDRA #65

Hollie L1
NAR# 99687
Fins are cut, now I want/need to bevel the edges. Also have to get some pictures to Mark @ Stickershock to work with him on getting the Full Wrap done. Then I can get it on the airframe, then get the fins/MMT installed.
Dave Greger L3
NAR# 95846
MDRA #65

Hollie L1
NAR# 99687
Got the holes drilled and inserts into the rear CR for the flanged retainer. Had to make a trip to Home Depot (Any excuse to go there, kinda like Harbor Freight!) to get a 3mm allen wrench for the inserts. Of all things 3mm was the Only size I didn't have!
I also mixed up a little Epoxy and coated the rear CR, which I will sand smooth and give a couple coats of Gloss Black VHT Engine Enamel.
Also picked up a handful of 5/16" Stainless U-Bolts for the L3 project..........
Dave Greger L3
NAR# 95846
MDRA #65

Hollie L1
NAR# 99687
I'm still playing around with how I am going to bevel the fins, a standard chamfer bit in a router works if I want a sharp 45 degree bevel, however, I want about a 1/2" bevel. Nice and sharp on all 3 edges of the fins. I cut a spare fin and used the rounded end on my belt sander and got it close. Not sure if I want to try that on all three fins. I foresee having to cut a few more "extras"!!!
Dave Greger L3
NAR# 95846
MDRA #65

Hollie L1
NAR# 99687