Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mounting a Sabre personal alarm
Anyone who's used one of these alarms as a rocket screamer?
[Image: personal-alarms.jpg]
I'm curious what approach you used to attach the alarm body to your rocket.
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Thumbs Up 
(06-07-2015, 04:18 PM)Rich Holmes Wrote: Anyone who's used one of these alarms as a rocket screamer?
[Image: personal-alarms.jpg]
I'm curious what approach you used to attach the alarm body to your rocket.

Yes I did, It sounds loud enough when you attach it to the harness, but when you search it in the tall grass, you have to be close to hear it.  But it helped me once...
Next project: 5" Broken Arrow, L4 canadian cert.
(06-07-2015, 07:43 PM)Crumb fire Wrote: Yes I did, It sounds loud enough when you attach it to the harness, but when you search it in the tall grass, you have to be close to hear it.  But it helped me once...

How did you attach the alarm body to the harness (or the rocket)?
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
I drilled a hole threw the housing and ran kevlar cord threw the hole and tide it to the shock cord. Then attache the chain a foot farther down.
These have saved me a LOT of times!
On an added not, I would take it apart if there are any large parts like capacitors, Silicone the heck out of it.

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever
There are a few guys in my club NAPAS that use the personal alarms with the pull pin on one end.  They attach them to the recovery harness, with a bit of slack in between the pull pin end and the opposite side.  When the recovery harness becomes tight it pulls the pin.  This way they don't have a screaming rocket on the pad.  I found this one, which has a rated 140db vs 110db for the Sabre.  HQRP 140db Personal Defense Security Alarm
True, but perhaps a screaming rocket will get launched faster to stop it from bugging the LCO! Wink
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
I tape it directly to the shock cord near the nc withseveral wraps of masking tape.  I lift the nc and pull the pin just before connecting the ignitor.  It is loud in the open, but nestled inside the tube against the chute it isn't too loud to sit on the pad awile.  It will definitely help in tall grass, but as has been said, it isn't getting you the last 100 yds, maybe 25-50 yds.  It got me my rocket back out of thigh deep wheat though.  You couldn't see the rocket even two paces away, so the the siren absolutely saved the rocket.