Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Score! - What deals and steals have you made?
Not low power, but I picked up this battle-hardened veteran LOC Fantom EXL (and a matching Fantom Mini... OK, that IS low power!) for $20 last week. One of our club members is moving and decided to donate all his non fiberglass rockets to the club, which is selling them at attractive prices.

[Image: img_7319.jpg]
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
(09-26-2015, 12:00 PM)Noffie79 Wrote: I'm pretty sure I read about that over on TRF. You had a picture of the standard next to a stretched along with a small dog to show scale, correct!? If so, it's that picture that made me decide to do a stretched Leviathan myself. Haven't built it yet, but I will soon

You mean this picture?

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=174279&d=1402342851]

Good to know that others are finding inspiration in my work. Smile

Glad you liked it!
Jim
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

(09-27-2015, 01:10 AM)K Wrote:
(09-26-2015, 12:00 PM)Noffie79 Wrote: I'm pretty sure I read about that over on TRF. You had a picture of the standard next to a stretched along with a small dog to show scale, correct!? If so, it's that picture that made me decide to do a stretched Leviathan myself. Haven't built it yet, but I will soon
[/

You mean this picture?  

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=174279&d=1402342851]

Good to know that others are finding inspiration in my work.  Smile

Glad you liked it!
Jim

Yep, that's the one!
I just read a thread about buying and combining FlutterBy's and now, although I had initially overlooked the Skill Level 1 rocket, I find that I am considering trying to find one just for fun.
But while looking at the Estes Rockets sale page, not only do I find they are on reduced sale right now...but also, there's a Super Neon XL for sale as well...and though I have bought, built and flown one of those successfully, I'm thinking of investing in another one, just to screw around with, and maybe try moving a few fins or other stuff around. Just for fun.

Haven't bought anything yet, just dreaming. (Yeah, I know I've still got plenty in my build pile yet to attempt...ChuterTwo...Mega Mosquito...Long Tom... and more...)
(10-08-2015, 01:20 AM)Kirk G Wrote: I just read a thread about buying and combining FlutterBy's and now, although I had initially overlooked the Skill Level 1 rocket, I find that I am considering trying to find one just for fun.
But while looking at the Estes Rockets sale page, not only do I find they are on reduced sale right now...but also, there's a Super Neon XL for sale as well...and though I have bought, built and flown one of those successfully, I'm thinking of investing in another one, just to screw around with, and maybe try moving a few fins or other stuff around. Just for fun.

Haven't bought anything yet, just dreaming. (Yeah, I know I've still got plenty in my build pile yet to attempt...ChuterTwo...Mega Mosquito...Long Tom... and more...)

Hey, has anyone else already screwed around with a Super Neon XL before?

What modifications have you already tried?  Anything you'd recommend?  Or warn away from? Angel
Picked up a Estes Solar Sailer for $22.50 off FeeBay.
I received my new Estes Honest John kits today fromJonRocket.com.  Great deal, they were 15.23 each (actually $30.45 for the two ...). That is around a 43% discount!  And I ordered a number of parts I needed to get the order over $40, so it shipped free. They also have a a Rewards Program you get points toward with each order.  I have not really internalized the details yet, but it basically means more incentives to keep purchasing from them. Smart!   Smile

I ordered at around 2am last Thursday (I could not sleep so I bought stuff!). Order shipped same day, and arrived today (Monday).  That is amazingly fast!  (Florida to Colorado.)

Box was well packed, had the little air pillows in to keep things from bouncing around.  There were also two "moist towelettes" in the box.  Not sure if they are for cleanup when building, or if they were meant to be used when I order Chinese takeout ... But a nice touch either way.

Finally, there was a nice "Thank you!" note on the packing slip. Reminded me of the service we all were used to getting from Semroc.

A big "thanks!" to Roger and Bracha Smith for a great experience ordering from them. I'll be ordering Little Joe IIs from them when they come out.
Lee
NAR 55948, L2
In Build:   Estes Saturn 1B
Next: complete Semroc Mars Lander, upscaled Orbital Transport
In Finishing:  Interceptor-E 
The use sent JohRocket sitickers. I had to leave mine behind stuck to the cabinet doors Sad
But I'm hoping they still send them out, I love stickers!
Best deal I ever got by far was a long time ago (1980's) I found a stash of 15 or 20 vintage 1950's plastic models -- think Strombecker and the like -- at a garage sale...for 25-50 cents each!! There was an MOL, a couple of Jupiter-C's, Nike-Ajax, and more.
Dave Cook 
NAR 21953 L2    TRA 1108
(10-13-2015, 08:32 PM)Kirk G Wrote: Hey, has anyone else already screwed around with a Super Neon XL before?

What modifications have you already tried?  Anything you'd recommend?  Or warn away from? Angel

I've seen a two-stage modification to the Super Neon XL previously that was pretty cool.  I think they split the body tube halfway down the tube fins, then glued three alternating tubes to the upper stage and three to the lower.  Was a nifty design mod!

-e