Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NARAM-58 Emergency
NARAM-58 competition events have been posted:

PMC Plastic Model Conversion

E SCA (altimeter) E Scale Altitude with Altimeter.

G SD G Streamer Duration.

D RG MR (per Rule 9.12 we are prohibiting use of Radio Control in the event , i.e. free flight only), D rocket glide multi round duration

C PD MR C parachute duration multi round

A HD A helicopter duration

½ A SRA (altimeter). 1/2A super roc altitude with altimeter.

OSL Open Spot Landing

R&D research and development

It's a large launching site.
Bob
(09-06-2015, 01:27 AM)Initiator001 Wrote: NARAM-58 competition events have been posted:

PMC Plastic Model Conversion

E SCA (altimeter) E Scale Altitude with Altimeter.

G SD G Streamer Duration.

D RG MR (per Rule 9.12 we are prohibiting use of Radio Control in the event , i.e. free flight only), D rocket glide multi round duration

C PD MR C parachute duration multi round

A HD A helicopter duration

½ A SRA (altimeter). 1/2A super roc altitude with altimeter.

OSL Open Spot Landing

R&D research and development

It's a large launching site.

If it is a large site, why 1/2 A superroc with altimeter ?  I do not know of an altimeter that works below 100 feet and a 1/2 A superroc will not do it unless it is only 10 inches long.  I also like to see a BT-5 altimeter.

Angel Astrosaint
Gutentag:

As it turns out, Jolly Logic's Altimeter One will work below 100 feet.  This will probably be the altimeter of choice for NARAM-58 1/2A Superroc.  However, one does have to use the BT20 tube to hold the device so the 1/2A Supers will probably have to be fatter than standard BT-5 varients.

The event is still too long at 7 days but perhaps some of the HPR types will fill in the ranks and try some of the events.  A 4 day event has been mentioned as an optimal time period (enough for 5 events).
Angel A
1/2A SRA will easily go way more than 100 feet off a good piston. And the Polish Adrel (sp?) altimeters that were in use at NARAM this year will indeed fit in a BT-5.
Dave Cook 
NAR 21953 L2    TRA 1108
(09-14-2015, 05:41 PM)caveduck Wrote: 1/2A SRA will easily go way more than 100 feet off a good piston.  And the Polish Adrel (sp?) altimeters that were in use at NARAM this year will indeed fit in a BT-5.

>>>>>>Ok, now I can see a problem.  Where can one order one of these Polish altimeters ?  The average rocketeer is out of luck unless there are 200 or more of them available at NARAM-58 to be given out (preferably in advance of the competition).  I would like 2 for myself delivered to my home.  

>>>>>>I am not trying to be callous here.  It is just that the generic hobby shop does not carry such exotic electronics and it give an unfair advantage to the people who went to a recent Internats contest.  Exotic parts availability also contributes to the decline in NARAM contest participation.

Angel A
You would order them from the website of the manufacturer much like any altimeter.  
Here is where you can order two of them to be delivered to your home in plenty of time to build and test your superroc entry for NARAM:
http://www.adrel.com.pl/orders.html

kj

Astrosaint Wrote:>>>>>>Ok, now I can see a problem.  Where can one order one of these Polish altimeters ?  The average rocketeer is out of luck unless there are 200 or more of them available at NARAM-58 to be given out (preferably in advance of the competition).  I would like 2 for myself delivered to my home.  

>>>>>>I am not trying to be callous here.  It is just that the generic hobby shop does not carry such exotic electronics and it give an unfair advantage to the people who went to a recent Internats contest.  Exotic parts availability also contributes to the decline in NARAM contest participation.

Angel A
Well, it would make sense to me that the rules should allow for use of equipment that is "main stream" here in the USA. Of course a lot of this doesnt make sense to me!

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever
Gee, and they wonder why competition is dying out...

Wonder if it could be because of arcane and nonsensical stuff like this that closes the doors in the face of most people, or makes it unnecessarily difficult to get access to the stuff needed for no good reason??

Nah, couldn't be... LOLSmile

Later! OL JR Smile
JR, you hit the nail on the head!
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
I think there is a lot of grief given about the rules in NAR competition being arcane. They can be intimidating I guess, but they are at the core pretty straight forward and haven't changed much for a while. If anyone has a question about the rules for any of the events, let me know and I'll try and clear them up. I will start a thread for that even.

One of the major recent changes (like in the past 5 years) is allowing altimeters in contests.

The rules for using altimeters in contests say that you can use any approved altimeter. That list is maintained here:
http://www.nar.org/contest-flying/us-mod...ntest-use/
It has a pretty good number of readily available choices.

There is no reason you need an Adrel to be competitive in NAR competition. You don't need to use a BT-5 for the whole length of your rocket, and I would submit that is not a winning strategy. You could make a model that has a Bt-20 section to hold any number of reasonably inexpensive, readily available altimeters, and still fly higher than a straight Bt-5 model based on how you build the rest of the model.

kj