Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NARAM-58 Emergency
KJ thanks for that! Is there a website for this years naram yet?

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever
Here it is:

http://www.nar.org/site/naram-58/

kj
Just to set the record straight against some disparaging comments, if you google "Adrel altimeter" the very first hit is the correct site, it's in decent English, there's an online store and they take paypal. Takes 15 seconds or so to find. Exactly how is that "nonsense" and "unnecessarily difficult"?

On SRA strategy, a model with any BT-20 section is somewhat disadvantaged against a BT-5 model due to increased wetted area (friction drag), and there will be some modest mass penalty as well. You do have to worry about getting enough stiffness...Chris Flanagan's NARAM-56 R&D report put some good definition on that.
Dave Cook 
NAR 21953 L2    TRA 1108
Probably going up for the N58 sport launch weekend. Would like to hang around longer, but vacation time is at a premium and I am not a big competitor.

Looking to the future, it might fit people's vacation supply and schedules better if it ran perhaps 5 days. No dedicated Sport Launch days, but keep a Sport Range going all the time.

I have flown competition in one NARAM a long time ago and might do it again someday.
The NARAM Sport Range is running all seven days.
Bob
(11-29-2015, 02:21 PM)Initiator001 Wrote: The NARAM Sport Range is running all seven days.

Yep, I realize that. 

The point is that one way to shorten Naram would be to not have the dedicated Sport Launch weekend. All sport launching would take place during the week.

It would certainly cause the event to lose some of the flavor that makes Naram what it is, but it is one of the easiest, if painful, ways to make the event two days shorter.

I deal with event volunteer issues all the time. I direct a large college competition for payload carrying RC aircraft that takes about 60 volunteers to make happen over a three day period. Tougher every year to get enough volunteers to make it happen. Finding enough volunteers for a 7 day plus event is very tough.
(11-29-2015, 04:40 PM)tab28682 Wrote:
(11-29-2015, 02:21 PM)Initiator001 Wrote: The NARAM Sport Range is running all seven days.

Yep, I realize that. 

The point is that one way to shorten Naram would be to not have the dedicated Sport Launch weekend. All sport launching would take place during the week.

It would certainly cause the event to lose some of the flavor that makes Naram what it is, but it is one of the easiest, if painful, ways to make the event two days shorter.

>>>>>>The original flavor of NARAM 1-10 was 2-3 days of competition with sport flying mixed in.---Astrosaint

I deal with event volunteer issues all the time. I direct a large college competition for payload carrying RC aircraft that takes about 60 volunteers to make happen over a three day period. Tougher every year to get enough volunteers to make it happen. Finding enough volunteers for a 7 day plus event is very tough.

>>>>>>There are 2 items that need to be considered:

1.  The majority of attendees to NARAM are sport flyers.  There are at least 100+ young, newbie sport flyers vs a much smaller group of aging, repeat competition flyers.  NARAM is more sport launch than competition.

2.  A four day NARAM is easier to schedule and setup with volunteers than a 7 day one.

NAR lucked out with NARAM 58.  NARAM-59 may not have similar fortune.  Waiting for the next crisis is not advisable.

A Angel