Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estes Solar Ignitors = ?
A cordless drill battery provides good amperage, and isn't as heavy as a car battery. My DeWalt battery works great.
(08-17-2015, 01:14 AM)RUF Wrote: A cordless drill battery provides good amperage, and isn't as heavy as a car battery. My DeWalt battery works great.

Did you buy an extra one or is it one that you use for your drill?  Hadn't thought of doing that before, but I don't have any cordless equipment like it.  The "joy's" of apartment living and all.
I'm using an old 6V Estes "Solar" controller with fresh batteries and I find the starters to be disappointing. If they work at all it's because I'm holding the button a LONG time.

They do work better if you soak them in nail polish first.
Living life dangerously...launching C's on a B field.
(08-17-2015, 09:33 PM)Joe Shockcord Wrote: I'm using an old 6V Estes "Solar" controller with fresh batteries and I find the starters to be disappointing. If they work at all it's because I'm holding the button a LONG time.

They do work better if you soak them in nail polish first.

Was thinking of trying the "nail polish" coating as well.

A "SMALL" portion of the ignitor is burning but not the whole thing.  The portion that burns looks like about the size of a felt-tip pin point, really small, hopefully the nail polish will work.  If not, then I will be saving my pennies and nickles for a way to build/buy a 12v launch system.
(08-18-2015, 09:45 AM)sanderj Wrote: A "SMALL" portion of the ignitor is burning but not the whole thing.  The portion that burns looks like about the size of a felt-tip pin point, really small, hopefully the nail polish will work.  If not, then I will be saving my pennies and nickles for a way to build/buy a 12v launch system.

One other issue I have with starters is that they are difficult to reuse because of the amount of residue left after ignition, including the unburnt part of the clear goo.

The old igniters would burn off all their pyrogen and I could reuse igniters sometimes up to four times with an old conventional (4xAA) controller. These starters use a pyrogen substitute that leaves a mess that is hard to clean off. Typically, I break the bridge wire when I try to clean them. Taking the time to add nail polish before using them doesn't help with cleanliness or reusability, but it does seem to make them a little more dependable.
Living life dangerously...launching C's on a B field.