Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your favorite MPR rocket(s)?
Breaking out of LPR, you often go to MPR before getting certification...  That usually means that some MPR rockets are being built.

What's your favorite?

Personally, I've only built a few, and launched none to date, but I've got a couple.  Of course, the Estes/Semroc Omega (with Cineroc) is on the list.  My stretched Leviathan is pretty cool, and the Argent is a beaut.
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

(06-08-2015, 09:56 AM)K Wrote: Breaking out of LPR, you often go to MPR before getting certification...  That usually means that some MPR rockets are being built.

I'm painting my L1 cert rocket now, but I've never thought of MPR as a "halfway house". In fact it wasn't until recently I decided I wanted to get my L1, and my guess is I'll continue to fly much more MPR and LPR than HPR.

I've had a lot more fun with my Mega Mosquito than I expected to, but probably my favorite so far is the Ventris. I just posted this picture in the Smoky Sam thread in the HPR forum but here it is again:

[Image: 2014-07-19-15-18-20.jpg]
On the latest flight the parachute separated (long story) and I now have a popped fin to repair. Again. (Another long story.) I'll do that soon.

I like the Ventris enough that I decided to put another PSII in my build pile. The Scion kit's arriving tomorrow.
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
For non scratch built rockets that were designed for MPR?

I have some love towards the Ventris and the Mega Der Red Max. I have a stock Ventis and another that I built with 38mm, cable cutter, dual deploy, and a bit of glassing. I will probably do the same thing to my next Mega Der Red Max.

Other top ranking MPR rockets: 3D rocketry 3Demon Fire, Wildman Jart (and superjart), and the 38 minis that I have made dual deploy (Wildman Darkstar mini, Rocketry Warehouse 38 Special, etc...)

Although honestly, now that I have my HPR certifications, a lot of my MPR are flown HPR.
NCR phantom 4000 for me! Although no matter what I did it kept snapping fins off.

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever
I am going to limit my 'favorites' to kits that I like(d) to fly often.

My long-time favorites include: NCR Big Brute (RIP due to a G71 non-eject event but now cloned), NCR Archer (RIP due to unexpected upper level wind and tall trees) and my PML Small Endeavour. Although the latter is s'posed to be 38mm high power, I have mostly flown it on 29mm mid-power. For that matter the first two had flown on H's too.

My 'new' favorites are the Ventris, the Majestic (this one surprised me) and my 29mm Mega Mosquito. I am loving the E16 and F15's.
Well, I've built two LOC Lil Nukes, so I'm going to throw that out as my fave.  I did my first one straight up, scared to death that I was going to screw it up due to not having worked with epoxy before.

[Image: MourningWouldatNARAM43.jpg]

My brother in law, who bought me the Lil Nuke, built one as a big Red Max, which I thought was the coolest idea in the world in 2001.

[Image: 166.jpg]

So much so that I asked for a second Lil Nuke in the family gift exchange that year.  Took a while to figure out the classic kit direction that I wanted to head for, but in the end I went with the Estes Ninja because it was my BAR rocket back in 1994.

[Image: 164.jpg]
I SOOOO wish I had bought one of the Phantom 4000's. [somehow I failed to quote wclune's post)
(06-08-2015, 05:03 PM)rstaff3 Wrote: I SOOOO wish I had bought one of the Phantom 4000's. [somehow I failed to quote wclune's post)

Looks like a pretty easy one to clone.
(06-08-2015, 03:59 PM)wclune Wrote: NCR phantom 4000 for me! Although no matter what I did it kept snapping fins off.

(06-08-2015, 05:09 PM)Bill Eichelberger Wrote:
(06-08-2015, 05:03 PM)rstaff3 Wrote: I SOOOO wish I had bought one of the Phantom 4000's. [somehow I failed to quote wclune's post)

Looks like a pretty easy one to clone.

Yup....but methinks the Archer is now higher on my 'might build' list. Currently building Fat Cat Centaurus-like thing based from an Estes Argent.
AAA Magnum Nike-Ram 2

29mm mount flies great on E through G motors

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Naquin
TRA# 677  L2
NAR# 85518 L2