Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estes Scion
Photo 
With the Ventris becoming one of my favorite fleet members (even if I do keep knocking fins off it  Dodgy ) I decided a second PS II kit was called for, so I'm building an Estes Scion. I considered modifying it but decided to go mostly stock... just using a Kevlar shock cord leader attached to the motor mount, and building using epoxy everywhere, with internal fillets. Not that I plan to go high power with this thing, though I'm sure it could take an H. But did I mention knocking fins off the Ventris?

[Image: img_7369.jpg]

[Image: img_7393.jpg]

[Image: img_7404.jpg]

[Image: img_7413.jpg]

Here's a dry fit of the whole stack:

[Image: img_73871.jpg]

Not much left to do besides external fillets. Then I have to decide how to finish it, but given the season I probably don't need to decide that for another six months! The "face card" scheme (there is no face card, but you know what I mean) isn't bad but I might decide on something different if a good idea comes along.
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
I'm considering turning one of my remaining Leviathan kits into a (stretched) 4-fin Scion - use the original slotted tube + two full length tubes.

Chris
(10-09-2015, 02:35 PM)Rich Holmes Wrote: Here's a dry fit of the whole stack:

[Image: img_73871.jpg]

Not much left to do besides external fillets. Then I have to decide how to finish it, but given the season I probably don't need to decide that for another six months! The "face card" scheme (there is no face card, but you know what I mean) isn't bad but I might decide on something different if a good idea comes along.

Looking Good!

Mine unfortunately is stuck in a box with nearly all my MPR kits as I'm packing for my move to China.  I was hoping to get it painted before that, but it's looking less and less likely now.

My paint scheme idea was to loose the blue on the nosecone, and the forward set of color bands, but do the rest of it stock. Now if I could only pin down the blue I want for it.
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Looks like a great job to me. The Estes mid power kits are a favorite of mine. I put a Partizon up on an H250G at the last shoot I went to. It got out of Dodge in a hurry and lived to fly another day.
I think it would really look good with some metallics as a finish Rich.
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065