Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estes Cineroc, one of the most elegant model rocket products ever
Shocked 
What do you mean crushed them?
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Here is a pre-flight pic of one of the two Cinerocs I owned back in the late 70s. 

Both were purchased from Herb Desind, who had modified them for ground view during liftoff, and also to hang at an angle under the parachute during recovery.

This particular flight took place on February 26, 1979, during a total solar eclipse.  Colorado Springs was not in the path of totality for this one, but was expected to see 88% coverage.  The idea was to get some aerial images to see if there were any visible effects on ground object shadows.  The camera was flown on a standard Omega upper stage (Re-named Mountaineer I), boosted by a D12-5.   I still have the 8mm film, but haven't seen it in years.  I'll have to get it transferred to DVD so I can get a good look at this and other flights of the Cineroc that might be on the same reel.

Stupidly, both Cinerocs were sold along with the rest of my models when I made my 1985 exit from the hobby.  I really regret that move, for sure!
"I don't care what they're referred to these days...I'm still calling them 'Igniters'"