Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CJ'S PUNISHER-2 STAGE .....new Missleworks GPS!
Just a tease for now, have to finish building my new booster. Old one in 6ft under ground since flying 2 weeks ago.

Just got my beta test version of the Missleworks RTx/GPS.... it's differs by using the same unit for both ground & rocket.Yes both have GPS iin them! Ground unit can be used just as a standard GPS for anywhere travel.

Will be back with build and mounting all this stuff on sleds
Jim Hendricksen
T 9693
L-3 Savannah Ga
Cool. Can't wait to hear more. I was following this on TRF, now I don't have to.

NAR# 98194
Level 1: CTI I-216, 3,043'
Level 2: CTI K-740, 5,999'

Personal altitude record: 12,400' CTI L395
2014 total impulse: 9,018.2 Ns (76% M)
2015 total impulse: 7,171.7 Ns (40% M)
2016 total impulse: 18,664.2 Ns (91% N)
2017 total impulse: 8,281.1 Ns (80% M)
To bring this build up to speed, you can review the first part here:   

file:///Users/jameshendricksen/Desktop/CJ's%202-stage,%20aluminum%20interstage%20&%20NC's,%20pellet%20press-2.webloc     
well that doesn't work so on with building.....

Tacked on fins with JB Weld.

Adding a 2in. strip of 10oz. glass to reinforce fins this will eventually fly on large M's in this booster.

Fillets are West 105 epoxy & 105 hardener, thickened with 406 filler to peanut butter consistency .

Glass tape added then covered with polyethylene strips weighed down to hold flat  [poor mans vacuum bag]

Finally 2 fillet added to cosmetically cover strips & sanded smooth for aerodynamic shape.

I did this starting yesterday morning & finished today at 3 pm. Got to ready it for MWP!

Here's what ya'll been waiting for, MissleWorks RTx/GPS.

Why is it called THAT rather than just GPS......well both units [base & rocket] are the same except for antennas. The base also has stand alone GPS so as it comes you need NOTHING else to use. Once landed the handheld base will give out continuous co-ordinates telly you where you are, along side rocket location.....so you can drive/walk right to the rocket!

Along side RRC3 altimeter for size comparison.

Battery box external for ease of replacement. will hold 9v or LiPO

If you already have the LCD unit for altimeter, then your set. [It's the same unit] You will save some money[35.00] when ordering be sure to specify you don't need LCD>
Jim Hendricksen
T 9693
L-3 Savannah Ga
Ok so I'm REALLY looking forward to this RTx unit. Can't wait as I love my RRC3 and its LCD. However, I don't quite understand why the base unit needs a GPS too. Care to explain that a little more please?

NAR# 98194
Level 1: CTI I-216, 3,043'
Level 2: CTI K-740, 5,999'

Personal altitude record: 12,400' CTI L395
2014 total impulse: 9,018.2 Ns (76% M)
2015 total impulse: 7,171.7 Ns (40% M)
2016 total impulse: 18,664.2 Ns (91% N)
2017 total impulse: 8,281.1 Ns (80% M)
Jim,

Another question. When the LCD is in the RTX housing, can it still be connected to a RRC3 for reading previous flight info?
Did I word that correctly? Know what I mean....?

Adrian

Adrian Butler
NAR 73787 L3
Tripoli 13524 L3 
QCRS, Princeton, IL
Chicago Rocket Mafia "The Mechanic"
(10-28-2015, 08:41 PM)T34zac Wrote: Ok so I'm REALLY looking forward to this RTx unit. Can't wait as I love my RRC3 and its LCD. However, I don't quite understand why the base unit needs a GPS too. Care to explain that a little more please?

In the case of many GPS systems (BRB900, Tragic Little Aerospace, AIM Xtra, Telemetrum depending on set up), the receiver's sole job is to report out the GPS coordinates of the transmitter.  Once the rocket has landed, you transfer these coordinates into your phone's location app or a Garmin Nuvi-type handheld GPS navigator.  To get to the rocket, you follow the arrow on your phone or on your Garmin.

By putting a GPS in the receiver (base), that transfer won't need to happen.  The base will give you a heading and a distance to your rocket without the need to type coordinates into a secondary device!  This is only possible if the base knows its current location in relation to the transmitter.

Hope this helps.

(10-28-2015, 10:29 PM)jd2cylman Wrote: Jim,

Another question. When the LCD is in the RTX housing, can it still be connected to a RRC3 for reading previous flight info?
Did I word that correctly? Know what I mean....?

Adrian

Looking at the pictures, I'll give it a solid "maybe."  If you look at the LCD, The cable sticks out of the housing on the bottom.  I'm thinking that the connector may be able to be pulled away from the LCD and a new cable plugged in, but I'm not sure.

Maybe a header needs to be installed in this that allows you to use the LCD for the RRC3 and the GPS interchangeably without disassembling the housing?
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3
Patell Manufacturing Facebook Page
Is this an all-in-one tracking and deployment unit similar to the Telemega, or just a tracker? It appears to have an awful lot of outputs if it is just for tracking. But I don't see a capacitor, so I'm guessing it doesn't do deployment, and that the outputs are just providing access to the GPS and XBEE pins.
(10-29-2015, 09:59 AM)MarkH Wrote: Is this an all-in-one  tracking and deployment unit similar to the Telemega, or just a tracker?  It appears to have an awful lot of outputs if it is just for tracking. But I don't see a capacitor, so I'm guessing it doesn't do deployment, and that the outputs are just providing access to the GPS and XBEE pins.

Tracker only, unless it's paired to an RRC3 which handles deployment. Pairing to an RRC3 also allows the transmitter to broadcast the barometric data to the ground station. The outputs you see on the transmitter (terminal blocks) will allow you to mount the GPS patch antenna 90 degrees to the board and facing up for better satellite visibility.
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3
I see. How come you know so much Dan, are you a beta tester too? Kidding. Smile

Looks like the unit uses the Ublox Pam-7Q GPS receiver with integrated patch antenna.
(10-29-2015, 11:39 AM)MarkH Wrote: I see.  How come you know so much Dan, are you a beta tester too?  Kidding.  Smile

Looks like the unit uses the Ublox Pam-7Q GPS receiver with integrated patch antenna.

I was a beta tester for the RRC3 and RRC2+, still have my green board beta units!  I was initially on the team for the Telematics system but I really don't fly frequently enough to warrant helping out.
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3