Poll: What is your most frequent recovery method?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Parachute
80.88%
55 80.88%
Streamer
10.29%
7 10.29%
Tumble
0%
0 0%
Glide
2.94%
2 2.94%
Featherweight
0%
0 0%
Copter
0%
0 0%
Shovel
4.41%
3 4.41%
Power Dive
0%
0 0%
Mid-air Capture
1.47%
1 1.47%
Steer to Target
0%
0 0%
Total 68 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What is your most frequent recovery method?
Streamer for me due to current field size.
"Call the power company" should be another option.
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
Tree.
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Those are mid-air capture, dudes!
Exemptions not regulations. Please purchase a few rockets from http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm
Thanks. Support eliminating explosive treatment of slow burning solids by DOT.
I used to catch them as a kid all the time.

If you're using shovel on purpose, I'm terribly confused.

Now, Its chute. I LOVE chutes.... I need to start sewing them... since fruity went into UAV's their prices are insane. I kinda wanna slap gene.
Parachute all the way!  Just bought two nylon chutes, very nice material.

I have had many failures, though I have never had to dig them out of the ground because I have not had anything powerful enough.  I lost a rocket last December because the recovery system chickened-out against a horizontal recovery!Angry
BuiltFromTrash
First RMS Flight: June-17 2015
Pringles Can Rocket
G53-FJ-7 (29-40/120) 92 Newton-Seconds
~1300 Ft
Dual deploy w/ parachute, sometime drogueless, but always parachute at the main.

Good to see you posting again Jerry, welcome!
Most frequent = parachute, most favorite = glide, most PITA after deployment fail "lake stake" = shovel. Hoping to live to see hands-off mid-air capture by drone. Have seen mid-air shredding by hawk, more than once. Trees, we don't talk about trees...
Dave Cook 
NAR 21953 L2    TRA 1108
I have to agree with Bat-Mite.
90% of my lost rockets over the years have been to trees.
I can only remember 1 crash and 1 lost in a field.
And I think my neighbor got the one in the field before I got there, but I'll never know for sure.
As for the pole, chutes for sure. About 20% right now is streamer.
Never had very good luck with gliders.
I did make a small rocket back in 75 out of my sisters tampax tubes with a pine nose cone ment to lawn dart.
It survived many flights until one time it tried to penetrate concrete. That did not work out so well.
Last club launch, an older hand launched a low power rocket complete with parachute.
It went up, nicely deployed, and started down, almost directly over the pad... drifted just a little bit, and to my surprise, was coming down right on me.
I called "MIKE, do you want me to catch this for you"? And though it only took a moment for him to respond, it seemed like it was more than 5 seconds, and I had to make a decision....
I heard him yell "Sure!" just as it got to me so I reached out to grab the body tube, but it swung at the last moment, and bounced off my hand, landing on it's side on the gravel road to our launch site.

I had hesitated because HE was making no effort to come catch it, and I know some people prefer to see the thing land on it's own without any interference...and I didn't want to be responsible for his breaking a fin off... but I should have just dropped what I was doing and grabbed with both hands.

As it is, it landed safely, without damage, though it laid on it's side and was dragged somewhat along the gravel a short ways.

What would YOU do?