Poll: What is your most frequent recovery method?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Parachute
80.88%
55 80.88%
Streamer
10.29%
7 10.29%
Tumble
0%
0 0%
Glide
2.94%
2 2.94%
Featherweight
0%
0 0%
Copter
0%
0 0%
Shovel
4.41%
3 4.41%
Power Dive
0%
0 0%
Mid-air Capture
1.47%
1 1.47%
Steer to Target
0%
0 0%
Total 68 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What is your most frequent recovery method?
(12-14-2015, 07:42 PM)Kirk G Wrote: Last club launch, an older hand launched a low power rocket complete with parachute.
It went up, nicely deployed, and started down, almost directly over the pad... drifted just a little bit, and to my surprise, was coming down right on me.
I called "MIKE, do you want me to catch this for you"?   And though it only took a moment for him to respond, it seemed like it was more than 5 seconds, and I had to make a decision....
I heard him yell "Sure!" just as it got to me so I reached out to grab the body tube, but it swung at the last moment, and bounced off my hand, landing on it's side on the gravel road to our launch site.

I had hesitated because HE was making no effort to come catch it, and I know some people prefer to see the thing land on it's own without any interference...and I didn't want to be responsible for his breaking a fin off...   but I should have just dropped what I was doing and grabbed with both hands.

As it is, it landed safely, without damage, though it laid on it's side and was dragged somewhat along the gravel a short ways.

What would YOU do?

I'd catch it if it was coming down that close to me under chute... unless specifically asked NOT to. 

I used to catch mine anytime I could... which was less often than I liked...

Course, ya have to use common sense... NO WAY would I try to catch a large MPR/HPR using fiberglass fins or stuff like that...

Later!  OL JR Smile
Under chute or not, never catch a rocket. If only so that you don't set a bad precedent for some neophyte.
Phill Ash
Secretary - SouthEastern Virginia Rocketry Association (SEVRA)
2015 Tot Impulse: 1398.8 Ns (L2, 45 Flights, 57 Motors)
2016 Tot Impulse: 190.3 Ns (L2, 14 Flights, 16 Motors)

(12-18-2015, 05:42 PM)phlash Wrote: Under chute or not, never catch a rocket.  If only so that you don't set a bad precedent for some neophyte.

God forbid we teach someone to actually have some fun...

Or, that we teach them what kinds of rockets it's okay to catch and what kind should be allowed to land on their own first...

To each his own...

later!  OL JR Smile
In my younger years it was a challenge to run and catch the rocket before it hit the ground.
Mind you, it was all low power Estes type rockets.
I see no harm in that.
For larger fiberglass and the like rockets I'd say no on catching.
But I think most kids would have enough sense to know is safe to catch and what is not.
If they don't, do you really want them around rockets anyways?
(12-19-2015, 12:12 AM)JEAdams Wrote: In my younger years it was a challenge to run and catch the rocket before it hit the ground.
Mind you, it was all low power Estes type rockets.
I see no harm in that.
For larger fiberglass and the like rockets I'd say no on catching.
But I think most kids would have enough sense to know is safe to catch and what is not.
If they don't, do you really want them around rockets anyways?

Good points... Agree!  OL J R Smile
(12-19-2015, 12:12 AM)JEAdams Wrote: But I think most kids would have enough sense to know is safe to catch and what is not.

You are assuming facts not in evidence...even for adults.  People do all sorts and manner of behaviors that defy sense and they usually start of with the exclamation of" Hey watch this".

If being unsafe causes someone to "miss out" on having fun then so be it.  It doesn't have to be a fiberglass rocket to hurt you.
Joe Southworth
NAR 98381
Southern Colorado Rocketeers (SCORE)
Level 1 Modified Initiator
(12-18-2015, 09:53 PM)luke strawwalker Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 05:42 PM)phlash Wrote: Under chute or not, never catch a rocket.  If only so that you don't set a bad precedent for some neophyte.

God forbid we teach someone to actually have some fun...

Or, that we teach them what kinds of rockets it's okay to catch and what kind should be allowed to land on their own first...

To each his own...

later!  OL JR Smile

What is this preponderance that allows people to find it acceptable to put words into the mouths of others? 

I'll tell you what - you go ahead and teach everybody to go ahead and try to catch their rockets.  While they're pulling splinters of fiberglass out of their hands or rocks out of their knees, you can tell them what fun they're having.

Meanwhile, our kids will behave safely *and* have fun.
Phill Ash
Secretary - SouthEastern Virginia Rocketry Association (SEVRA)
2015 Tot Impulse: 1398.8 Ns (L2, 45 Flights, 57 Motors)
2016 Tot Impulse: 190.3 Ns (L2, 14 Flights, 16 Motors)

Naw, remember guys, this was a low power Estes rocket that was under chute and coming down very straight and reasonably close. It would have taken little effort to catch it in two hands safely.

No way would I attempt anything larger. Those HPR birds are almost always downrange some.
The most common for me as well is the parachute. And don't forget to powder your chutes!!