Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for that Copter/rocket special today!
Last night during dinner break, I surfed TRC forum and thought I spotted a sale from ASP on October rockets...than included a seven piece balsa "copter"...
that is, a unit that one launched and then spun copter-like down to the ground.  I thought I saw it for sale through 10/31/15 for about $9 as a Skill 1 kit.

But tonight, I can't find any listing for it.
I'm pretty sure it was called an Odd Rocket,
but I don't recall the rest of the details.

If I could find a listing for it, I'd be more happy.
If I could get the sale price on it, I'd order one on my credit card along with some Kevlar cord that I've been on the look-out for (Not this rocket/copter).

Can anyone help me?  I think the description said only seven interlocking pieces, and that it flew on A-0, B-0, C-0, or C6-3 motors.
Any ideas? Huh
You might be thinking of the Voritco - it's not a ASP kit but made by Rocketarium.
http://www.jonrocket.com/index.php?main_...cts_id=652
Hans "Chris" Michielssen
Old/New NAR # 19086 SR
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

ASP was participating in a Halloween/Grand Opening party. I think it is over now though~

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever
That's IT!. You nailed it Chris! Vortico Odd-Roc Model Rocket Kit!

Was I mistaken, or did ASP have this on sale? Or am I confusing two sites?
(11-03-2015, 12:15 AM)Kirk G Wrote: That's IT!.  You nailed it Chris!   Vortico Odd-Roc Model Rocket Kit!

Was I mistaken, or did ASP have this on sale?  Or am I confusing two sites?

Yes Kirk, you are confusing two sites...

thanks - Andy/ASP
Andy Jackson
NAR #14575
TRA #1191
Aerospace Speciality Products
http://www.asp-rocketry.com

Now that I've figured out where I saw this rocket/copter, I ordered one from JonRockets and it showed up in less than 2 days.   Like, I order it at 10 pm, and it shows up in the mail not the next day, but the day after!  That's fast!

So, with about nine pieces, the assembly is fast,
but I was a little confused by a few of the explanations/instructions.

I get that you are assembling the lowest level to make a cross, or X.  
Then, the next level is another X which strengthens the first.
And finally, a top piece, which secures the bottom two layers.

So all that's left are the motor tube and the launch lug.  
Now, they have been used to align the various levels, but not glued in.  
So, all that's left is to insert them and glue them in place.  

But it would be a lot more clear if they would tell you which side of the "rocket" (or blades) each was supposed to "stick out" when finished.  That is, you mark a 1/4" from the end and then insert the tube through the hole until flush with the top. Why? Why stop when it is flush?
The next instruction says to spread glue at the joint and then continued sliding and twisting it until only 1/4" is left sticking out.  Seems overly concerned with this.  Why not say, "insert through the hole and stop when you get to the 1/4" line you just marked. Then apply glue and let it dry?

Part of the problem is that the glue (yellow carpenter's glue) grabs really quickly, so you have to keep moving it until it's in place.  Hopefully this is all in place when it grabs.

But it's not really clear which alignment is more important...the blades edges or the tube holes.  
OK, now I know that it's really the hole alignment that is most important and drives everything else.
But then, just how much sanding are you expected to do?  Do all the blade edges have to be feathered?  
Or do I need to do ANY sanding?  These seven pieces seem to be precision cut/laser burned to perfectly fit.

Also, the tubes (both motor mount and launch lug) are getting a little messy from having a little glue leak on them, as well as their sharp edge ends are getting a little frayed or worn...

Just how important is that launch lug when we cut it off only a 1/4 inch protruding from the blades? Is it really necessary?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Somebody pointed out that this type of spinning copter odd rocket could be easily lost with too strong a motor or too small a launch field. And the instructions warn NOT TO LAUNCH IN WIND!
So, after hearing some comments on a Rocket Review page, I decided to break out some masking tape, and a bout a half a dozen left over spray cans...to make the most visually striking, anti-camouflage pattern that I could manage. After a couple of shots of paint and not waiting for it to completely dry, here's what I came up with. Both sides have some red on them, and some yellow. I used ring hole repair circlets to give
a sort of military look to the underside, and I hope no matter which side lands facing up, it will stand out for searchers...

I know, it's probably the most ugly thing I've ever done...and it's sloppy...and the scan of the top side is altered by the portruding motor tube that lifts it off the glass scanner... but you get the idea...
Hey Kirk,

I just saw your comment on Rocket Reviews under my flight (sorry...I don't get notifications of comments added, so I just happened to see it today by chance).   I've answered your questions there, but let me know if you have any other questions. Smile

My posted answer:
"Hi Kirk,
My Vortico is stored away (meaning I have to find it), so I'll try to recall from memory.  I followed the instructions when building this one and the motor tube does stick a bit out the back...likely by design so you can put a nice fillet of glue along the edge to hold the tube in place and help prevent the motor from forcing the tube off the rocket.  The lug extends below that and I'd guess it is so that he rocket doesn't lean over as much due to play in the lug...this helps to cut down on the angle it leaves the rod.
You can fly it without paint; however I gave the rocket the same treatment I give most of my rockets...I sprayed it with Rustoleum Filler Primer, sanded it down and then I painted it the colors I wanted.  I didn't use any filler since the wood quality was very good with a tight grain; however  I normally use Elmers' Carpenter's Wood Filler on other rockets.  Paint it however you like...it's a canvas! Smile
Personally I don't think you have to worry about visibility since this rocket doesn't go very far unless you send it up in a ridiculous motor.  I think the farthest I had it land was maybe 50' away.  
Happy flights!"
Well, I took it to the club launch, and put a B6-4 into it. Wrapped a little masking tape for a snugger fit... I sanded the launch rod just a little, cause it was the first flight.
And I clipped it about a foot down the rod from the top...that is, used a wooden clothes-pin to hold it up there.

Well, it fired.... the thing spun a ridiculous amount as it came up off the rod, and maybe went up 10-15 feet before turning somewhat sideways and cartwheeling into the ground. I'm certain the ejection charge didn't help keep it aloft much. But it was nearby in the short mowed grass of our field.

Then someone offered a C6-3 ("stuff a C in it...sure, I'll donate one....") and so I reset it, discovering the B motor was still very warm. I used a wrap of tape again, just to make it snug. And like before, I clipped it about 8" down from the tip of the rod.
This time it spun up even faster, and jumped off the rod....rising perhaps 20 feet or so, before the ejection charge blew and dropped it quite a bit. It landed about 15 feet the OTHER side of the rod, and after turning off the launch switches, I walked forward to find it.

Couldn't find it. A second person who had been watching pointed a bit farther out....and we walked a bit farther out, sweeping in circles or arcs. Finally a third person started to join in, walking past the launch rods, and found it less than 10 feet away. (Apparently, it pinwheeled and "walked" back toward the rod after touching down.)

Still OK, brightly painted, but having proven that the ejection charge is terminating the flight, I'm thinking of a pack of C6-0 or something like a B6-0.

Of course, the other old hands immediately started suggestions...("Put an F in it...." "Here, I've got a D"...."Chad stage that sucker!")
Fortunately, it was the end of the day and the RSO was wanting to tear down the rods and pack up, so I didn't give into those siren voices trying to get me to destroy my bird.... LOL!

I am still not certain that I have the motor tube in correctly...as I have only a 1/4" of both the launch lug and 1/4" of the motor tube extending through the bottom. The rest of the motor tube stands high above the blades, maybe 2-3" tall. Is that right, or should that length be extending BELOW the blades?
Ah! Cartwheeling away...I hadn't thought about that!

I did most of my LP launches in the winter (at times with snow on the ground) and I also used -0 boost motors and never really had the issue of the rocket coming down sideways and cartwheeling away. I also did one or two in spring on grass and it was also fine. My most recent launch of the Turbo Vortico was spectacular on a F22 and it came down flat and while it did a flip over upon landing, it didn't roll sideways at all.

Some suggestions to cut down on issues would be to not use a long launch rod (some clubs use 36" rods)...the longer it is, the more the rod will wiggle and flip in any wind and that sends the rocket off at an angle. Additionally, launch in little or no wind since the Vorticos weathervane a lot due to all the front flat surface area.

I think launching on a bigger motor (with no wind) would be best since it sends it up at a nice height and then the longer time coming down allows it to bleed off some of the rotation speed. Plus it looks and sounds cooler! Big Grin

I'll try to dig up the rocket and report back on the motor tube and lug positions.