Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smaug Model Rocket
If all those tractor motors don't light at the same time it will be the decimation of Smaug. At least he doesn't need a brick in the nose to fly. Hopefully all that lumba won't catch on fire, but it keeps the CP down the back side real nice. I have green cat eyes to glue on, maybe I can find some gold ones. Debating on paint, all gold or red on top with a gold belly? Will need to eliminate some clip traps for flight, but hopefully our RSO has become accustomed to canted tri-motor mounts up front with flexible segmented tails on the hind end. Maybe the prospect of launching a fire breathing monster who is well known or burning things to a crisp will be too much. Is it best to leave sleeping dragons lie?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'm not usually one for oddrocs, but this one is really cool. I'd love to hear the flight report.

NAR# 98194
Level 1: CTI I-216, 3,043'
Level 2: CTI K-740, 5,999'

Personal altitude record: 12,400' CTI L395
2014 total impulse: 9,018.2 Ns (76% M)
2015 total impulse: 7,171.7 Ns (40% M)
2016 total impulse: 18,664.2 Ns (91% N)
2017 total impulse: 8,281.1 Ns (80% M)
Thanks. Oddrocs are an acquired taste but they can be fun. After some paint this will fly, RSO willing!
(11-05-2015, 03:44 PM)Daddyisabar Wrote: If all those tractor motors don't light at the same time it will be the decimation of Smaug. At least he doesn't need a brick in the nose to fly. Hopefully all that lumba won't catch on fire, but it keeps the CP down the back side real nice. I have green cat eyes to glue on, maybe I can find some gold ones. Debating on paint, all gold or red on top with a gold belly? Will need to eliminate some clip traps for flight, but hopefully our RSO has become accustomed to canted tri-motor mounts up front with flexible segmented tails on the hind end. Maybe the prospect of launching a fire breathing monster who is well known or burning things to a crisp will be too much. Is it best to leave sleeping dragons lie?

Very cool design!

I'd not be a very strict RSO with a rocket like this -- I'd be saying "Let's light this thing!"

When do you anticipate flying it?  I've got to be there to see this one!
Lee
NAR 55948, L2
In Build:   Estes Saturn 1B
Next: complete Semroc Mars Lander, upscaled Orbital Transport
In Finishing:  Interceptor-E 
If I get the paint done and it looks pretty enough to get a pad assignment, it will be the typical, late in the day launch after most have left at CRASH. Next launch is Saturday Nov 21st. All I need is some calm conditions and a bit of snow would be nice to reduce fire danger. Come be one of the brave men to see Smaug fly!
This is wonderful! Will it roar and spit fire on the way up? Please post pictures of the paint job!
(11-05-2015, 08:10 PM)Morlock Wrote: This is wonderful! Will it roar and spit fire on the way up? Please post pictures of the paint job!

It will roar up with lots of fire and smoke from three awesome Estes E motors all lighting at the same time.  A big smoke trail,  a short glide, all the time wagging it's tail, then boom, out comes the fire chute for a perfect, soft recovery.
The more I look at it the more I am impressed. The angles on the wings and the claws look so nice. Very artistic   Cool
Member of MDRA, NAR and NARHAMS;
Level-2 certified but mostly fly G and under;
Volunteer compiler of manufacturer's news for ROCKETS Magazine.
(11-06-2015, 03:21 PM)rstaff3 Wrote: The more I look at it the more I am impressed. The angles on the wings and the claws look so nice. Very artistic   Cool

Thanks!  The legs have to be tucked in to avoid burn, and for Dragon flight of course.  I think I will get a bit of claw burn on the front and back, but you need to always push the envelope and live dangerously.  A bit of burn is a good thing, it adds patina and character.  I modeled the positions of the legs after our Cat who lies on his back and wants his belly rubbed.  I think I have balanced out the drag with in acceptable parameters and most importantly it still looks good.
That is a very clever design!
I think it would be very difficult to sim it, so it may take an actual string test to determine stability. Smile