Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smaug Model Rocket
(11-05-2015, 07:58 PM)Daddyisabar Wrote: If I get the paint done and it looks pretty enough to get a pad assignment, it will be the typical, late in the day launch after most have left at CRASH. Next launch is Saturday Nov 21st. All I need is some calm conditions and a bit of snow would be nice to reduce fire danger. Come be one of the brave men to see Smaug fly!

Well, I better be there -- best not pass on brave man activities. Word gets around. Invite accepted!
Lee
NAR 55948, L2
In Build: Mars Snooper
Next: upscale Sky Hook (Panavia kitbash)
In Finishing:  Estes Honest John, Red Nova, Super Cobra
This begs for more photos and video of launch!
Thumbs Up 
(11-06-2015, 11:10 PM)Trident Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 07:58 PM)Daddyisabar Wrote: If I get the paint done and it looks pretty enough to get a pad assignment, it will be the typical, late in the day launch after most have left at CRASH.  Next launch is Saturday Nov 21st.  All I need is some calm conditions and a bit of snow would be nice to reduce fire danger.  Come be one of the brave men to see Smaug fly!

Well, I better be there -- best not pass on brave man activities.  Word gets around.  Invite accepted!

If he goes squirrelly there is only one tiny spot you must hit to knock him down before he gets ya!

Loaded up the CG is right at the bottom of the first neck transition with no stinking nose weight added. Very over stable, but those dern stinking tractor motors, the CG goes down as they burn. Canted above the CG, whats with that? Just hope there is enough junk in the trunk and that wagging tail does the trick. Pray the motors all light, otherwise it is the decimation and desolation of Smaug.
Smaug successfully launched on three E 12s. Straight up and at the end of the power curve Smaug found the speed of balsa and a wing broke off. Still coasted up and deployed. Wing fluttered down. A bit too much power, E9s would have been better. Minimal motor burn on the claws and my anti-clip fouling tape took most of the heat.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

As I said earlier, very cool. Too bad about the wing, maybe fiberglass cloth could repair it?

NAR# 98194
Level 1: CTI I-216, 3,043'
Level 2: CTI K-740, 5,999'

Personal altitude record: 12,400' CTI L395
2014 total impulse: 9,018.2 Ns (76% M)
2015 total impulse: 7,171.7 Ns (40% M)
2016 total impulse: 18,664.2 Ns (91% N)
2017 total impulse: 8,281.1 Ns (80% M)
Fiberglass or even paper tab with lots of wood glue. Kind of a nasty break. Tone down the motors to E9s. If I build something similar in the future I would use basswood (or a higher quality 1/4" balsa) because you can take more weight with the tractor motors up front.
Smaug flew for the second time Saturday and it was almost an exact repeat of the first flight. This time the other wing shredded, the repaired one stayed on. This time I used 3 E9-4 but it still had the power to exceed the speed of balsa for the unreinforced side. That is the good thing about tractor motors. Like I tell the Pad Fuhrer, when flying those canted tractor motors above the CG, the whole hind end of the rocket is just following for show. Stripping major components in flight is no big deal, shaping fins with fire is OK. I say the flight is more in the hands of the Lord than Science. The Pad Fuhrer says Science is ALL that counts. Smaug is already fixed up for flight number 3, a couple of minutes with super glue, then label paper and a dash of gold paint.