Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FSI revival?
(07-11-2015, 08:18 AM)Bob Jablonski Wrote: Talking direct to one of the owners. 6 kits are expected to be out by the end of the month (and guess who will stock them when they come out?). And the motors are still about a year out. 

That's great news, thanks Bob!
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
I dug around in storage and found some old motors I bought in 1969 and 1970.  Here is an FSI C4-6 that was manufactured in Louisville Colorado.  I'll have to research this out of curiosity, since old catalogs I've seen shows them located in Missouri.

I recall wrapping lots of tape on these to fit into a BT-50 tube.  When I bought them, I did not realize they were not the 18mm size like Estes A/B/C motors (they "were" 21mm according to the catalogs, but mine measure almost 23mm).

I also have a number of Estes and Centuri B14 motors.  I am tempted to fly a couple of those at some point. Maybe in 2019, when they are 50 years old!

UPDATE:  Just found this.  FSI started in Louisville Colorado in 1966.  Here is the "About" page.

http://www.flywithfsi.com/about.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Lee
NAR 55948, L2
In Build:   Estes Saturn 1B
Next: complete Semroc Mars Lander, upscaled Orbital Transport
In Finishing:  Interceptor-E 
Ah yes the good ole C4-6. Now if they would just bring back my favorite the E5-6 I will be a customer for life. . .
(07-11-2015, 08:18 AM)Bob Jablonski Wrote: Talking direct to one of the owners. 6 kits are expected to be out by the end of the month (and guess who will stock them when they come out?). 

Well, that was about five months ago. Have I missed an announcement, or was this yet another instance of failing to deliver?
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
If I remember correctly, he had a limited number of kits at NARAM. Or was it LDRS? Or, whatever. I guess he's just not ramped up to produce a lot. He's active on Facebook so you could go there and ask for a status update.
Member of MDRA, NAR and NARHAMS;
Level-2 certified but mostly fly G and under;
Volunteer compiler of manufacturer's news for ROCKETS Magazine.
Tired of checking, to be honest.
Recently finished: Estes Nova Payloader, Estes Star Wars R2D2
In the paint booth: Estes Super Neon XL, MPC Taurus-1, Estes Screamin' Mimi
Under construction: Estes Pathfinder, Estes Magician (2440), TLP Hellfire AGM-114A
Ready for decals: Semroc Cherokee D, Quasar XL
On deck: Centuri Vector V, TLP Martel AS 37
Vaporware seems to be a common problem in rocketry...

Personally I think a lot of these "upstarts" would do better to forego the big "press announcements" and just get their act together and set up going first, then roll out the product and be ready to ship... but that's just me I guess...

Later! OL JR Smile
(12-02-2015, 03:56 PM)luke strawwalker Wrote: Vaporware seems to be a common problem in rocketry...

Personally I think a lot of these "upstarts" would do better to forego the big "press announcements" and just get their act together and set up going first, then roll out the product and be ready to ship... but that's just me I guess...

Later!  OL JR Smile

I agree. And, if the kits don't appear, the motors have no hope.
Member of MDRA, NAR and NARHAMS;
Level-2 certified but mostly fly G and under;
Volunteer compiler of manufacturer's news for ROCKETS Magazine.
Dave posts a LOT on the NAR page.  He seems to have a huge number of projects in the works -- maybe no time left for FSI stuff?   Smile
Lee
NAR 55948, L2
In Build:   Estes Saturn 1B
Next: complete Semroc Mars Lander, upscaled Orbital Transport
In Finishing:  Interceptor-E 
(12-02-2015, 10:35 PM)Trident Wrote: Dave posts a LOT on the NAR page.  He seems to have a huge number of projects in the works -- maybe no time left for FSI stuff?   Smile

Okay.... then WHY get everybody's hopes up with a big announcement/rollout spiel?? 

I have a hard time taking people like that seriously after they do that a time or two...

Bout like Quest... I don't even pay any attention to anything they say anymore... when I see it on a website with a price on it or on a shelf peg, then I'll believe it-- until then, it's all just hot air IMHO...

Seen too many "big announcements" of "coming soon" stuff that was never more than vaporware...

Later!  OL JR Smile