Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chute attachment question
Long story short:  The assembled Big Bertha that I inherited has no mylar chute with it and no instructions.

There's a woven elastic shock cord secured with a tea-bag anchor inside the body tube that looks in good shape.
The loose end as a small loop tied into it, clearly to fasten something to it.
However, the nosecone has a short 3-4 inch pig-tail that at the moment has no loop and nothing secured to the free end.

I'm thinking the original owner had various chutes, each one with a quick release fishing lure swivel on it.
That would explain the small loop at the end of the shock cord.  But I'm not clear on how/why the nosecone is not attached in some fashion.
I supposed it could be tied through the loop, but I wouldn't want to tie a loop and clip it into the fishing swivel...what if the swivel failed?
The rocket would be in free fall if the quick release 'hook' should fail.

Am I thinking this through right?
Or is there something I'm missing?
Something simple?
Essentially all my low power rockets have a shock cord (elastic + Kevlar leader) connecting the nose cone to the airframe, with a loop tied in the elastic roughly 1/3 of the way down. Essentially all my small chutes have the shrouds connected to a coast lock snap swivel, which gets attached to the shock cord loop. If the snap swivel fails, the chute separates and the rocket falls, but that hasn't happened yet. Coast lock swivels are pretty robust.
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Wish I could find a nearby source for these coast-lock swivels everyone is recommending.
All we have are fishing swivels in a plastic rotary plastic case from the sportsman aisle in Wal-Mart, and the like.
No Cabellas near here.
There should be a fishing shop in or around Athens somewhere, I found mine at a local shop here in Colorado Springs.  Of course there is always Amazon or other mail order source too as a last resort.  The shipping costs on small items like that drive the price crazy though unless you add them to an order with other needs.  Hope you find some.
Joe Southworth
NAR 98381
Southern Colorado Rocketeers (SCORE)
Level 1 Modified Initiator