Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pronunciation
Estes: Short e as in best chess, or long e as in best cheese?

Binder Design: Short i as in hinder, or long i as in grinder?

Doctor Zooch: Hard ch as in Bach, or soft ch as in batch?
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Gleda told me it was Gleeeeeda and "Cheese"
Hinder
Dr Zooch says it like "Batch"

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever
I will always use the short e on Estes no matter what is right. I only met them one and only used first names. Glad I pronounced Gleda correctly Smile

But I may call Wes 'Dr Zook' next time I see him just to see what he says  Angel
Member of MDRA, NAR and NARHAMS;
Level-2 certified but mostly fly G and under;
Volunteer compiler of manufacturer's news for ROCKETS Magazine.
Sung to "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off"

You Estees, and I say Estiss,
You say Century, I say Centouree,
Peester - Piester, Gleeda - Gleda,
Let’s call the whole thing off -
Hans "Chris" Michielssen
Old/New NAR # 19086 SR
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

(11-23-2015, 11:52 AM)hcmbanjo Wrote: Sung to "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off"

You Estees, and I say Estiss,
You say Century, I say Centouree,
Peester - Piester, Gleeda - Gleda,
Let’s call the whole thing off -

Available on iTunes yet?
Lee
NAR 55948, L2
In Build:   Estes Saturn 1B
Next: complete Semroc Mars Lander, upscaled Orbital Transport
In Finishing:  Interceptor-E 
Vern Estes is clearly heard saying the short E in videos. But they have YouTube blocked here at work, so I can't post any.
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
Wanna know how they pronounce it? Call Estes' toll free number, and hear it from them... "Thank you for calling the Estes-Cox Corporation"
According to it, it sounds to me like that sound Canadians do "Eh?" along with the "stis" (which would rhyme with "this"). If I was trying to give it an English spelling I'd spell it "Ehstis"

I've always said Binder in a way that would sound like "Bind Her" (without the "H" in her), and I've talked a couple of times to Mike Fisher about projects that he, and I are/were working on. I've not been corrected on my pronunciation of it.

Zooch? I've never dealt directly with the good Doctor. I kinda add a "t" sound to it... Zootch, so it sounds like a cross between Zoo and scotch.
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

(11-23-2015, 11:34 AM)rstaff3 Wrote: I will always use the short e on Estes no matter what is right. I only met them one and only used first names. Glad I pronounced Gleda correctly...

Oops. When I met her last year at NARCON I used the European pronunciation, "Glayda."
Living life dangerously...launching C's on a B field.
(11-24-2015, 01:41 AM)K Wrote: Wanna know how they pronounce it?  Call Estes' toll free number, and hear it from them...  "Thank you for calling the Estes-Cox Corporation"
According to it, it sounds to me like that sound Canadians do "Eh?" along with the "stis" (which would rhyme with "this").  If I was trying to give it an English spelling I'd spell it "Ehstis"

I've always said Binder in a way that would sound like "Bind Her" (without the "H" in her), and I've talked a couple of times to Mike Fisher about projects that he, and I are/were working on.  I've not been corrected on my pronunciation of it.

Zooch? I've never dealt directly with the good Doctor. I kinda add a "t" sound to it...  Zootch, so it sounds like a cross between Zoo and scotch.

Now your talking my language
A trip to the Zoo with a bottle of Scotch...hic
I talked to her a few times on the phone and I asked if it was Gleeeeda or Gleda, she said Gleeeda Esteees. Of course Vern could say it with the short e..... Smile

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever