Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ceramic Fiber Insulation Blanket
anyone use this stuff in place of wadding/baffles/dog barf...etc etc? You know the stuff like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Ceramic-Fiber-...1847325633
Interesting material but not biodegradable...not clear if it's dense enough to stop ejection particles but seems like it ought to. The seller's page makes it sound like it's hard to cut (offering a special purpose knife). After many years I've ended up partial to dogbarf or baffles for LPR and Nomex blankets for MPR/HPR; both are very easy to use and highly effective. This material could have uses though as protection for the top bulkhead of an HPR interstage coupler.
Dave Cook 
NAR 21953 L2    TRA 1108
(11-24-2015, 04:21 AM)caveduck Wrote: Interesting material but not biodegradable...not clear if it's dense enough to stop ejection particles but seems like it ought to.  The seller's page makes it sound like it's hard to cut (offering a special purpose knife).  After many years I've ended up partial to dogbarf or baffles for LPR and Nomex blankets for MPR/HPR; both are very easy to use and highly effective.  This material could have uses though as protection for the top bulkhead of an HPR interstage coupler.

I use the stuff at work all the time. You can cut it easily with a regular utility knife. Its kinda feels like a tough fiberglass insulation. Its not biodegradable but I was thinking for something like you said, for bulkheads etc...just wondered if anyone has actually used it for anything.
Curious - what do you use it for at work?
Dave Cook 
NAR 21953 L2    TRA 1108
I used something similar for my curing oven: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=48330.
(11-24-2015, 06:00 PM)caveduck Wrote: Curious - what do you use it for at work?

Use it in steel mills for all kinds of very high heat applications. Stuff  incredible. Recently got back into rockets and just have some wheels turning...
I've used something similar to that as insulation around a wood fired pizza oven. It's far more expensive than dog barf and not nearly as flexible. I can't think of s good use for it in rocketry. Other materials are more suitable and a lot cheaper.

Joe