Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Formula 200 L3 Build Thread
Building a Rocketry Warehouse Formula 200 for our Level 3 rocket.  Plan is to fly it at Red Glare on an M1830 motor.  I am building it pretty much stock except adding a SC Precision Thrust Plate to the back end.  Animal Motor Works ordered the kit for me.

Here is the Rocksim Drawing:

And the Rocksim file (you may have to make sure Windows saves the file as extension .rkt for the file to work):

.rkt   formula200.rkt (Size: 127.07 KB / Downloads: 22)

I'm using this post to document the build.  Advice and comments are welcome!
NAR 98479 L3
Pile of really big parts to wash.  It's hard to get a sense of just how large everything is:

Here is the thrust plate from SC Precision (thanks Scott):

Working on the nose cone coupler.  All the tube ends were really square; however, the Nose Cone (NC) coupler was too tight.  I want to make the NC coupler removable so it needed to get sanded down.  After dry sanding on a stationary belt sander, here I am wet sanding it on the lathe:

I'm using an extra AV Bay lid for the end of the coupler.  Making a drill guide for the NC and AV bay lids on the CNC machine.  Just a plywood disc with all the required hole locations drilled out with the 1/8" bit:

Here is the NC bulkplate after drilling for a 5/16" u-bolt:

Ready for sanding and gluing.
NAR 98479 L3
NC bulkhead epoxied in place:

Making fillets with West Epoxy, Chopped CF and West 404 High Density Filler:

Mixed up to a peanut butter hairball consistency:

Applied roughly:

And smoothed out:

Here are the NC coupler and the AV coupler with switch band epoxied in place:

NAR 98479 L3
I made a little progress today.   First my sophisticated "tool" to lay out the lines on the body tube:

My favorite drills for fiberglass from Onsrud.  They are much less grabby that standard twits drills especially when hand drilling:

Here are the holes around the AV bay.  x4 10-24 machine screws to secure the AV bay,  x4 4-40 nylon screw shear pins, and x4 3/16" vent holes:

The altimeter switches are accessed through the vent holes.  I'll work on the Nose Cone coupler next.  Eventually the machine screws will be backed up by weld nuts epoxied to the inside of the tube.
NAR 98479 L3
The rockets that you have brought to MDRA have been first rate and this build looks like it is headed in the same direction.
I appreciate seeing the most basic info shared..like the drill bit types..There is alot to learn from watching others build.
Thanks.
Tom Cohen

MDRA...Maryland
MARS...Geneseo N.Y.
(12-07-2015, 11:50 PM)Tom C Wrote: The rockets that you have brought to MDRA have been first rate and this build looks like it is headed in the same direction.
I appreciate seeing the most basic info shared..like the drill bit types..There is alot to learn from watching others build.
Thanks.

Thanks Tom, coming from you it's quite a compliment.
NAR 98479 L3
I never drill my vent holes or static ports until after I paint. Do others drill before paint? Is there an advantage?
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
(12-08-2015, 10:22 AM)Bat-mite Wrote: I never drill my vent holes or static ports until after I paint.  Do others drill before paint?  Is there an advantage?

I always drill before as I don't want to suffer chips in the paint job.
Subscribed!
Mark Rose
Tripoli Vegas
TRA #11717 L3
KG7NWI
Very nice so far! I'd considered one of these kits--never quite got around to dropping the money on one (had upscales and scratches to build). I'll be watching this build.

Re: time to drill...

I drill before paint, personally, whenever possible--makes for nicer finish...

Later!

--Coop