NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
Yeah just a slow day I guess... Later! OL J R
I'm here ... Why, I am not sure ...  

I mostly do modrocs these days, and most new stuff seems to be HPR. Here's a blast from the past.  My buddies by the rocket in front of the old Estes Industries buildings. Took a tour there in March 1966.  Almost 50 years ago!

Lee
NAR 55948, L2
In Build: Mars Snooper
Next: upscale Sky Hook (Panavia kitbash)
In Finishing:  Estes Honest John, Red Nova, Super Cobra
Yeah we need content to keep people interested.

There are a few build threads already, including a new one from Mark (huge thanks to those that are contributing content) but I'm hoping a few others will also post builds/reviews etc.
I'll be posting a few builds soon, from tiny to smallish L2.
Nothing terribly exciting but might interest some.

(02-03-2016, 05:41 PM)Trident Wrote: ... Here's a blast from the past.  My buddies by the rocket in front of the old Estes Industries buildings. Took a tour there in March 1966.  Almost 50 years ago!

SO jealous!!
Oh how I wish I could go back in time and visit Estes at its peak.
Would've been even cooler to work there!
AMRS #54
WARS #24
Now that is an Estes rocket I would love to have seen flown! Wink
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
(02-03-2016, 05:41 PM)Trident Wrote: I'm here ... Why, I am not sure ...  

I mostly do modrocs these days, and most new stuff seems to be HPR. Here's a blast from the past.  My buddies by the rocket in front of the old Estes Industries buildings. Took a tour there in March 1966.  Almost 50 years ago!

That is one awesome picture! Color, too! Just six years after Sonny Hickam won the National Science Fair for Propulsion.
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
Ever since the pictures have been turned back on at TRF, business has been slow. I have to admit, I don't check in nearly as often as I should.
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Sounds like it may be slow until they turn the pictures back off over there! Wink
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
[attachment=1060 Wrote:Greg Young pid='3735' dateline='1454591350']Now that is an Estes rocket I would love to have seen flown! Wink

Here is another pciture of my buddies by the Estes rocket, plus a picture of a couple ladies  that filled the order we placed while there.  The ladies in the "warehouse" filling our order were really nice to us.  I seem to recall getting some freebies, but Estes used to do that anyway if your order was big enough.

A young Bill Simon gave us the tour.  We saw the famous  Mabel, the motor making machine, cranking out motors, also saw a really cool machine "grinding" out nose cones.   Lots of homebrew machines everywhere -- one that dipped sections of a continuous piece of nichrome wire into blue insulation and cut it off after it made dipped three (remember old igniters you cut apart and bent yourself?)  We also saw how they made recovery wadding.  Looked like a roll of TP fed into a borax bath, and then run under a heat lamp to dry it.  Mechanical arms like a taffy puller folded the dried wadding back and forth into a neat pile to be bagged.  

We also got a tour of R&D to see how rockets were designed, as well as their design tools for creating  artwork like instructions and decals. Only in the 60s would this be allowed -- back when nobody would think about corporate secrets.  Well, at least not with a group of 13 year old kids, and a mom ...   Smile

Sadly, I have misplaced or lost most of the slides I took.  These were scans of the couple that I still have.

Lee
NAR 55948, L2
In Build: Mars Snooper
Next: upscale Sky Hook (Panavia kitbash)
In Finishing:  Estes Honest John, Red Nova, Super Cobra
(02-05-2016, 04:36 PM)Trident Wrote: ...Looked like a roll of TP fed into a borax bath, and then run under a heat lamp to dry it....
Awesome, thanks for sharing!
That is exactly what it was, TP. (And still is, even though it is now cut into squares you can see the TP perforations in the sheets)
There was an interview with Vern where he said they always got weird looks and comments from the drivers when they delivered truck loads of TP. Big Grin
AMRS #54
WARS #24