Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS and Telemetry with Rasp Pi
Guys, in the process of building a system to send gps coordinates and telemetry in real time using RP2, GPS module, 100mw 70cm data transceiver (HAM Radio band) module and accelerometer modules.  So far, I am able to transmit my callsign and the GPS coordinates with little effort.  Also plan to transmit barometric altitude from my recovery altimeter.  

Would like to hear from other that have already done this or in the process of doing so. 

Also been playing with an AP510 APRS tracker.  Anyone using one for tracking and recovering their rockets?
I had an Arduino-based tracker until I realized I could just feed the GPS serial out directly into the radio serial in, and I got rid of the MCU. I am using the HopeRF radios (http://www.anarduino.com/details.jsp?pid=139) at 915Mhz, license-free and they only cost $8.40. I have had no trouble getting data in the air out to 2.5 miles. There is actually a longer ranged HopeRF module available now, the HM-TRLR-S that is ~$25 on aliexpress, that claims 5km in the air with a 2dBi antenna. I will be playing around with those over the winter.
Let us create vessels and sails adapted to the heavenly ether, and there will be those who will not shrink from even that vast expanse. - Kepler to Galileo in 1610

NAR 86500
Level 2
(06-11-2015, 01:53 PM)Dugway Wrote: I had an Arduino-based tracker until I realized I could just feed the GPS serial out directly into the radio serial in, and I got rid of the MCU. I am using the HopeRF radios (http://www.anarduino.com/details.jsp?pid=139) at 915Mhz, license-free and they only cost $8.40. I have had no trouble getting data in the air out to 2.5 miles. There is actually a longer ranged HopeRF module available now, the HM-TRLR-S that is ~$25 on aliexpress, that claims 5km in the air with a 2dBi antenna. I will be playing around with those over the winter.

Yes,noticed on Vern Knowles Rocketry page that his did something similar using a garmin GPS serial out into a 915mhz radio serial in.  I was hoping to capture some additional telemetry data beyond GPS, simliar to the data collected with the Metrum devices.

Those HopeRF data transceiver looks nice.  I'm currently using/testing the DORJI Si4463 data radio modems and also a small 2meter wakie-takie module with DireWolf  software TNC on the RaspPi. I kind of got side tracked from rocketry helping a friend with his HAB.