Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drogue Size Question
"Good point about the drogueless.  Even though the flight should only go to 4000 ft, it might be better to forego one if the winds are up around 15 mph.  I'll look for a good window--remember last year the wind was really blowing on Saturday but Sunday was almost perfect."

Don, consider at least a smaller drogue if you have one, if not to reduce the descent speed, at least to keep the two halves from banging into each other, minimize possible damage for the cert.
Dave Greger L3
NAR# 95846
MDRA #65

Hollie L1
NAR# 99687
(04-07-2016, 09:58 AM)dgreger Wrote: "Good point about the drogueless.  Even though the flight should only go to 4000 ft, it might be better to forego one if the winds are up around 15 mph.  I'll look for a good window--remember last year the wind was really blowing on Saturday but Sunday was almost perfect."

Don, consider at least a smaller drogue if you have one, if not to reduce the descent speed, at least to keep the two halves from banging into each other, minimize possible damage for the cert.

Great advice, Dave.  Our Super DX3 got it's drogue chute caught in the chute protector "eye" one time and came streamlining it at 100 ft/sec.  Definitely a tense few moments.  I'm planning to bring drogues from 20"-36" and will select accordingly at the field.  Now it looks like Sunday will be pretty nice so this will hopefully be moot.

Look forward to seeing your nice split fin rocket on the away cell this weekend.

Don
NAR 98479 L3
Final report:  The 36" drogue produced a descent rate of 67 ft/sec, nose down but not streamlining, in slightly breezy conditions.
NAR 98479 L3
Sounds like you sized it just right Don! Smile
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
Usually, all my rockets come in too slow under drogue.  I guess there's a first time for everything...   Rolleyes
NAR 98479 L3