Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood Filler challenges
Tongue 
Angry
Holy Crap!

So my wife bought a small tube of wood filler, and when I opened the round cup, it was SCARLET!

I'm thinking, "This is going to make for a wild looking sanding job"...so I smear it on, trying to fill the spirals, and not waste it.
After a minute or two, I'm noticing the goo seems to be smearing some of the tan paint or surface color from the body tube, and swirling it into the goo.
I figure I better stop pushing it around and let it cure.

To my horror, I discover large patches of the scarlet goo have turned tan.... and the longer it sits, the more it turns tan.

After an hour, the entire stuff has turned over, and I have nothing but tan wood filler smeared all over my rocket.

So I break out the steel wool, figuring I will sand a bit of it off...and to my horror, I discover that it is rock hard!

The steel wool is fragmenting, but not removing any of the wood filler.

Is this stuff suppose to work this way??!!
What brand and type is it?? Never heard of this before.

Later! OL J R Smile
Kirk,

Did it smell when you took it out of the tube?  It could be a solvent based filler (like Plasticwood, or similar), which dry rock hard.  

The only color change filler I'm familiar with is Elmer's which turns from purple to white.  I swear that it's just drywall compound, as it's extremely soft and very easy to sand.

If it's rock hard you may have to break out something a lot more aggressive that steel wool.

Don
NAR 98479 L3
(05-02-2016, 10:29 PM)dreago Wrote: Kirk,

Did it smell when you took it out of the tube?  It could be a solvent based filler (like Plasticwood, or similar), which dry rock hard.  

The only color change filler I'm familiar with is Elmer's which turns from purple to white.  I swear that it's just drywall compound, as it's extremely soft and very easy to sand.

If it's rock hard you may have to break out something a lot more aggressive that steel wool.

Don

It did not smell, no smell of solvent.
It changed from scarlett to white/tan as it dried, just as it was supposed to.
It was the first time that I had ever used it, and the wife had bought it.  It was in a small white tub or cup with a classic orange Elmer's lid.
All is well... Cool