Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That feeling you get when....
...You have saved and scrimped and salvaged all the flashing and extra balsa for a couple of years, and then discover you have an urgent need for a piece that is exactly the size you have saved! Wink

...you scrimp and measure and cut, and f ind you have exactly the right amount of extra balsa saved to construct a simple model rocket from the scrap you have on hand. Big Grin

... you notice the morning after you've stayed up late assembling that rocket from scrap, excess balsa, and something doesn't look quite right... and realize you've assembled the fin upside down and glued it in place inverted last night.  And you have no more scrap to replace it.... Sad
That's a bummer!
Why not mount all 3 or 4 the same way, and check the cg/cp? I'll bet it will fly, perhaps with added nose weight/length.
It will make a good conversation piece Kirk.
Making lemonade from lemons comes to mind... Wink
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
(05-16-2016, 08:50 AM)Greg Young Wrote: Why not mount all 3 or 4 the same way, and check the cg/cp? I'll bet it will fly, perhaps with added nose weight/length.
It will make a good conversation piece Kirk.
Making lemonade from lemons comes to mind... Wink

The rocket is a scratch-built Cyclone...experimental that simulates a maple seed in the twirl and tumble recovery.

The second stage has two extension fins to counterbalance the main fin on the top stage, but when they separate, both stages tumble separately.

So, there are not 3 or 4 to mount the same way.   I have created a second top stage with more scrap and a properly placed fin. I will try both on a test flight on our next club launch, to see how much of a difference it makes. (I'm betting it's major.)
Good luck, and let us know how it flies! Smile
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
Club launches in May were both scrubbed by rain, and now the Memorial Day weekend looks HOT and afternoon storms.  So no luck there. Sad

I scheduled our next June club launch but was informed by the boss that I will be working that weekend, so I'm not likely to get to launch it then. (Maybe the event will be rained out, and rescheduled to the rain date, two weeks later.... what an awful thing to  wish for, eh?)
Sad