Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experimentalist
Hello all,

Not new to rocketry but new to the internet forum socializing, although the interest has come and gone over the years. The observant may notice that the same user ID also registered on that other rocket forum today. However not being a member of any organizations or having any officially recognized skills I don't seem to be welcome in the area that is of the most interest to me. 

A bit about me, my education is in electrical engineering and material science. Worked in fields of communications, avionics and childrens swimwear (long story). The rocket interest has gone over the last 30 some years from estes kits to aluminum bodies to sugar propulsion even a dip into fireworks. Many years ago I came to realize that my interest and direction would relegate me to going at it alone since 100% scratch built is outside the norm. Do have quite a bit of personal resources at my disposal cutting, bending, drilling, milling, pressing, turning and sewing. 

Looking forward to hanging out and participating where I can.
Just so I'm not blowing smoke...  Tongue 
While gathering my thoughts last night I was doing a test piece out of Al with some new (to me) tooling.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-04-2016, 10:09 AM)skysurfer Wrote: Just so I'm not blowing smoke...  Tongue 
While gathering my thoughts last night I was doing a test piece out of Al with some new (to me) tooling.

Welcome to Rocketry Central.  Nice work on the machining!  Hope to see some more of your work.  I too have noticed that there are to few people who do scratch built and I get a lot of the "why go to all of the trouble to make something that is readily available."  I sew my own 'chutes so that I get the performance that I want/need for a particular airframe and at a lower cost as I am saving on the labor ( I own commercial sewing machines that are necessary for the particular stitches that I use.)
Joe
Joe Southworth
NAR 98381
Southern Colorado Rocketeers (SCORE)
Level 1 Modified Initiator
I would say I'm just cheap/frugal but the investment in tools is significant, unless you already have it it's not a cheap way to go really. My machining mentor joked often the only reason to have a home machine shop is to build guns or steam engines. I'm not into steam engines... By my ID I'm into free flight, hang gliding, sail planes so have to keep those maintained. Higher and fasted is cool and all but I get my satisfaction by building something and having it actually work as intended. 

I also keep a small fleet of industrial sewing machines, straight stitch, 1/8" and 1/4" double needle, 6mm zigzag, 3 and 4 thread overlock, coverstitch and the very cantankerous 9 thread feed off the arm flatlocker. The double needles have attachments for taping, binding, folding IE parachute work, the zigzag isn't a long arm but with some finagling gets used for sail repair and line work. My shop officially is for custom sportswear, repairs and alterations but it only occupies about 1/4 of the space. It's in another location from my apartment and the sportswear work offsets most of the rent and keeps the lights on.

Austin

View of the mess that is the sew shop.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Welcome aboard Austin!
You'll find more than your share of pilots, folks with electrical and radio backgrounds, etc that hang around these forums.
Nice machining on the little piece of aluminum above! Wink
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
(06-04-2016, 12:58 AM)skysurfer Wrote: However not being a member of any organizations or having any officially recognized skills I don't seem to be welcome in the area that is of the most interest to me. 

Yeah that is why I am posting about my engine on this forum not the other one. Sad I would get a lot more hits on the other forum but maybe we can keep each other company.  Big Grin

(06-04-2016, 10:09 AM)skysurfer Wrote: Just so I'm not blowing smoke...  Tongue 

That is very nice, what machine are you using?  What size engine does that fit?
BuiltFromTrash
First RMS Flight: June-17 2015
Pringles Can Rocket
G53-FJ-7 (29-40/120) 92 Newton-Seconds
~1300 Ft
(06-07-2016, 06:51 PM)BuiltFromTrash Wrote:
(06-04-2016, 12:58 AM)skysurfer Wrote: However not being a member of any organizations or having any officially recognized skills I don't seem to be welcome in the area that is of the most interest to me. 

Yeah that is why I am posting about my engine on this forum not the other one. Sad I would get a lot more hits on the other forum but maybe we can keep each other company.  Big Grin

(06-04-2016, 10:09 AM)skysurfer Wrote: Just so I'm not blowing smoke...  Tongue 

That is very nice, what machine are you using?  What size engine does that fit?

This place works maybe others with the same problem will find it. I could go deep into a political discussion but will spare everyone that for the time being. 

That was cut on one of the little 7x14 mini lathes. I have access to larger ones if need be all the way up to a #5 Warner and Swasey. The nozzle was cut for one of Nakka's A-100's it was just a test piece, trying an insert with a bigger radius in the boring bar. Starting small and working my way up, since it's been a good number of years since I last built anything (rocketry related).

Austin
Ah cool!

I was fortunate enough to be able to machine on a large South Bend lathe, 16x60 sb1055f. It was a great experience.
BuiltFromTrash
First RMS Flight: June-17 2015
Pringles Can Rocket
G53-FJ-7 (29-40/120) 92 Newton-Seconds
~1300 Ft
Look up Amateur Experimental Rocketry on FB.  Also Sugpro list on Freelist.org.  In fact I think several people in your area possibly.  

Michael
Ham Radio Operator - KM4OLT
Also into sugar propellants - http://www.freelists.org/list/sugpro
Amateur Experimental Rocketry on FB
(03-06-2017, 03:30 PM)mrmonteith Wrote: Look up Amateur Experimental Rocketry on FB.  Also Sugpro list on Freelist.org.  In fact I think several people in your area possibly.  

Michael

Checking some of them out... so much going on not sure how much I'll be able to participate. Sadly any local groups seem defunct but I look around on occasion to see if anything new pops up. Although there is alot of college/university activityy around here it leaves a couple of problems, I'm not a student and with the population turning over every 4 years it makes keeping something held together long term a bit difficult. I'm sure there's "locals" but haven't ran across any so far.