Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rockety Center Favicon?
For those who don't know, favicons are those little 16x16 pixel images that you see in the tabs when you're looking at a website.

The default is a "document" and looks like a page of paper with the corner turned down.

One thing that can tell you if something is hokey or slick is whether or not there's a favicon with the page.

Translation...  This forum needs a favicon.

I went to "Dan's Tools" (which ironically has the default favicon) and found a free favicon generator there...  I uploaded the circle logo from the header, and got this:

[Image: 68105891bc85ea9dd9052e02cbd4f214.ico.png]

I can't speak to the accuracy of the code supplied, but here's the zip file I downloaded (and it didn't trip my antivirus software).

Attached Files
.zip   68105891bc85ea9dd9052e02cbd4f214.ico.zip (Size: 367.61 KB / Downloads: 9)
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Hah, I was just thinking about this the other day.
Maybe if the three vertical black bars are removed, so there's just the blue/black circle and white arrow, the icon would display a bit clearer?
AMRS #54
WARS #24
(06-13-2015, 12:33 AM)Viking Wrote: Hah, I was just thinking about this the other day.
Maybe if the three vertical black bars are removed, so there's just the blue/black circle and white arrow, the icon would display a bit clearer?

Ok...  I tried that...  Here's the results:

[Image: 3ec72dcbaa4a0b29de04eadd45874832.ico.png]

Attached Files
.zip   3ec72dcbaa4a0b29de04eadd45874832.ico.zip (Size: 285.78 KB / Downloads: 4)
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Ktesh thanks for your efforts. Installed
Hmm, I don't know much about icons, but the zip file contains a bunch of png files with names like

android-icon-144x144.png
apple-icon-152x152.png
favicon-96x96.png
ms-icon-310x310.png

all of which are just blurry upscales of the 16x16 icon, apparently. Don't know if there's any benefit to improving them.

Anyway, given the existing logo I like the first one better. I tried messing with reducing but not eliminating the black bars, but didn't come up with anything much.

I said "given the existing logo". I'm not crazy about the existing logo... especially those black bars. I don't get why they're there. But that's another discussion.

With or without black bars, yes, a favicon is needed.

(06-13-2015, 08:26 AM)nismerf Wrote: Ktesh thanks for your efforts. Installed

While I was typing the above reply. OK then!
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
The logo came from logo stock. We are not graphic artists, were just regular guys who enjoy the same hobby. If someone here is a graphix person and wants to create something Cool, we would welcome that.
A rocket would look good...not a cartoon looking one, but something more representative of the hobby.
Can a picture be simply downsized and used, or does it have to be a graphic file?
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
(06-13-2015, 12:01 PM)Greg Young Wrote: A rocket would look good...not a cartoon looking one, but something more representative of the hobby.

How about a Der Red Max? Wink

(click to embiggen)

I just had a rough hack at it, just to see how a more familiar rocket rather than a cartoonish one would look.
Not so sure, a big fat cartoonish rocket would stand out more I reckon.
Maybe an exaggerated plumped up DRM would work better?... dunno.
AMRS #54
WARS #24
Nice job — not sure how Estes would feel about it though.

Maybe smaller exhaust and bigger rocket, and maybe lighter or white background behind the rocket, would help to make it stand out better, and to still be recognizable at favicon size.
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
That looks great Viking!?
Rich I don't think Estes would care.
I doubt they have a copy right on the design and color scheme.
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065