Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/6 Scale Redstone SRBM
So I've been kicking this idea around for a few weeks, and I think I've done enough planning to come forward and see if anyone has suggestions for improvements. 

The plan is, as the title suggests, to build a 1/6 scale version of the Redstone SRBM used by the US Army in the late 50's and early 60's. The rocket is based around the PML 11.66" tubing. Here are some of the details...

Fincan
  • 4" central fiberglass motor tube
  • Interlocking fin tabs and centering rings
  • Completely foamed cavities (that's what the holes in the middle centering ring are for)
  • Zipperless, with the motor tube going to the top of the joining coupler and shock cord attaching at the centering ring
  • Thrust plate drilled to accept Aeropack retainer
Main Transition
  • 6" fiberglass stuffer/parachute tube
  • Interlocking strakes and centering rings that will be foamed and turned on the lathe to complete the solid shape
  • Completely foamed cavities (again, that's what the holes in the ring are for)
  • Internal av bay, bolted to the lowest centering ring
Nosecone
  • Most likely turned out of solid hardwood, for ballast purposes
Recovery
  • Skyangle Cert 3 Xl for main
  • Skyangle Classic 2 60" for drogue
  • 100' x 3/4" Tubular Kevlar harnesses
All in all, I am expecting a 75-80 pound empty weight. Hopefully I can start on this project this year, provided that my classes at Purdue don't get in the way too much. Either way, this will be a long, drawn out build that will likely not fly for many summers. 

If anyone has any questions or critiques, I will try to answer and respond quickly and appropriately.

Attached Files
.ork   1.6 redstone.ork (Size: 59.45 KB / Downloads: 0)
.pdf   Fincan Assembly.pdf (Size: 1.1 MB / Downloads: 2)
.pdf   Total Upper assembly.pdf (Size: 1.23 MB / Downloads: 1)
Mason Hazzard
NAR 93790 L3
Purdue University
Looks like a great project Mason.  I've never built anything over 4 inches, so I don't really have anything to lend in the way of comments, but I'll be watching with a popcorn emoji. Smile
Thanks Mark!

To be completely honest and fair, my largest personal rocket to date is also 4". I have collaborated and helped with larger projects, though. I've also done enough research (in my opinion) to be confident that I will be able to complete this in a way that is more than strong enough for flight.

That said, I have been thinking a lot about it recently.

The nosecone might have to be made using the same method as the transition, using a plywood core for the shape and foam to fill the gaps. It might just be too cost prohibitive to make it out of a single piece of hardwood, which would stink because it doubled as ballast to compensate for the small fins. I'll just have to see what Sandman says at Python Rocketry.

Secondly, I need to come up with a reliable way to do shear pins and vent holes. I will probably do all of the foaming first, then drill holes through it to get to the electronics/stuffer tube for switches and pins. Since the walls of those holes would be foam, and therefore somewhat fragile, I will likely have to add something along the lines of a copper tube as a way to support it and avoid damaging the foam. It just required long drill bits and the right sized tubes, which are easy enough to get.
Mason Hazzard
NAR 93790 L3
Purdue University
Mason, we are all looking forward to your proposed build! Smile
Be sure to grab lots of pictures during construction and assembly!
Greg
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
Well, I finally finished all of the part files. If it needs to be CNC cut, I drew it up on Autodesk Inventor.

I will be sending Nat at Upscale CNC the part files within a few days/weeks for him to get a quote for me. Work is slow and school is taking up lots of time so again, this will be a slow build.
Mason Hazzard
NAR 93790 L3
Purdue University
Back from the dead!

I haven't forgotten about this project at all, I promise! I have had so many things going on in my life between switching majors, joining two research groups, looking for internships, and getting my grades up that I haven't had time to do much. I have had some technical difficulties with CAD getting the drawings sized properly, and recently the school network crashed. I should be back on the saddle soon though.

With BF sales coming up, I might very well be getting some components for this in the near future. Only time will tell!
Mason Hazzard
NAR 93790 L3
Purdue University