Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini Der Red Max
Estes Rockets appears to have another sale on right now, that includes a Mini Red Max....listed as a Skill Level One.
How can this be?  Is there NO construction or assembly for this thing?

I see they recommend 1/2A or A3-4T or A10-3 or similar mini motors for this rocket.   Is it REALLY that small?
(10-13-2016, 10:45 PM)Kirk G Wrote: Estes Rockets appears to have another sale on right now, that includes a Mini Red Max....listed as a Skill Level One.

I see they recommend 1/2A or A3-4T or A10-3 or similar mini motors for this rocket.   Is it REALLY that small?

It really is that small... Wink  And yes, there is some construction required...

Estes skill levels - 
  • RTF (Ready to fly) -Rocket is fully assembled.
    No paint, glue or modeling skills required.
    Attach recovery system.
    Ready for liftoff in minutes! 
  • ARF (almost ready to fly) Rocket is assembled, the only thing you have to do is slide the fins in place and attach the recovery system.
    No paint, glue or modeling skills required.
    Ready for liftoff in minutes!
  • E2X (Easy to assemble) No paint or special tools needed.
    All parts are colored and easy to put together.
    Glue parts together, apply decals, attach the recovery system and you are ready to blast off!
    Assembly takes 1 hour or less.
  • Skill level 1 (beginner kits)Requires some painting, gluing and sanding.
    Most feature laser cut wood fins, plastic or balsa nose cones and high quality decals.
    Step-by-step instructions make building very easy.
    Assembly may take an afternoon.
  • Skill level 2First tier of more advanced kits.
    Features laser cut wood fins, balsa or plastic nose cones, unfinished body tubes and waterslide decals.
    Requires beginner skills in model rocket construction and finishing.  Instructions are included. 
  • Skill level 3Second tier of more advanced kits.
    Features multiple laser cut wood fins and parts, unfinished body tubes, complex designs and plastic or balsa nose cones.
    Requires moderate skills in model rocket construction and finishing.  (Instructions included)
    Assembly may take a few days.  
  • Skill level 4These kits require a high degree of modeling involvement from building to painting.
    Construction is extremely complex using advance wood and paper techniques.
    The result is a rocket with museum-like qualities that is an exceptional flyer.
    Assembly may take a few weeks
  • Skill level 5These kits require a high degree of modeling involvement from building to painting.
    Construction is extremely complex using advance wood and paper techniques.
    The result is a rocket with museum-like qualities that is an exceptional flyer.
    Assembly may take a few weeks. 
http://chrisudy.blogspot.com
NAR Level 1 HPR - Aug 22, 2015 - LOC Caliber ISP on AT H115DM-8
(10-14-2016, 02:27 PM)chrisudy Wrote:
(10-13-2016, 10:45 PM)Kirk G Wrote: Estes Rockets appears to have another sale on right now, that includes a Mini Red Max....listed as a Skill Level One.

It really is that small... Wink  And yes, there is some construction required...
I ask, because I bought mine off ebay, already assembled, and it arrived as a well made 14 inch or so  rocket that had been modified to accept a D engine. I have  happily flown it several times, but have only just this month singed the plastic parachute a bit.
(10-14-2016, 10:41 PM)Kirk G Wrote:
(10-14-2016, 02:27 PM)chrisudy Wrote:

I ask, because I bought mine off ebay, already assembled, and it arrived as a well made 14 inch or so  rocket that had been modified to accept a D engine. I have  happily flown it several times, but have only just this month singed the plastic parachute a bit.
If it's been modified for a D, then it's a Der Red Max, not a Mini DRM. Mini DRM uses a BT20 airframe. Regular DRM uses a BT 60.

Chris
http://chrisudy.blogspot.com
NAR Level 1 HPR - Aug 22, 2015 - LOC Caliber ISP on AT H115DM-8