Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gloss white pain
I used Krylon for years until it started intermittently blistering, then for a short while I found this fantastic paint called Fix-All before it disappeared. Now, after all the disappointment with Crustoleum, I think I'm going to give up and go buy the 96¢ stuff at Wal-Mart.

That's right, I'm gonna do it.

DON'T TRY TO STOP ME!
(06-16-2015, 12:01 PM)Joe Shockcord Wrote: I used Krylon for years until it started intermittently blistering, then for a short while I found this fantastic paint called Fix-All before it disappeared. Now, after all the disappointment with Crustoleum, I think I'm going to give up and go buy the 96¢ stuff at Wal-Mart.

That's right, I'm gonna do it.

DON'T TRY TO STOP ME!

Better you than me, man.  Big Grin
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
I ~never~ use the Rustoleum 2X paints except for the white primer and then only as the final primer coat underneath fluorescent colors.

For my gloss white, I use the Rustoleum Gloss White Enamel (Stops Rust) and have never had any problems other than the random gnats investigating the aroma.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kit (aka "Cranky Kong"), Certified Rocket Monkey
"We were promised jet packs!"

2015: Total Impulse: 2,017.78 Ns - 58% K motor
Since 2010: Impulse: 11,019.58 Ns - 8% N motor
I still use gloss white (old formula) Krylon...  It's still apparently available in 6 packs under the Krylon Industrial name. I have not tried the Industrial version - still working off old stock.

Chris
I just used a can of that 99 cent stuff from WalMart the Homeshades brand both the green and the white on my L2 project I just posted over in HPR section are that brand, and it turned out pretty good, it was a bit hot when I did my last coat on the upper airframe, but it still turned out nice. The red is Rusto 2X my wife used for another project and I just used it to paint the 54mm to 38mm motor adapter since it was on hand, it seemed to work pretty good. All the paints were applied over Duplicolor sandable white primer or Duplicolor 2 in 1 High Build Sandable primer (grey).
Personally I ditched rattlecan in favor of 2-part KlassKote in a detail gun a long time ago after a lot of similar experiences, especially with Rusto colors. Some cans just randomly seemed to set up like rubber...or sandpaper...or never quite set at all. Rharshberger is not alone, a lot of people have reported good results with Duplicolor primers and colors, and also (amazingly!) the Walmart cheap stuff.
Dave Cook 
NAR 21953 L2    TRA 1108
Chris Michielssen has a blog post about this: http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/...e-tip.html. I concur with his observations that: 1. the problem mostly is seen with gloss white, not other colors 2. it happens mostly with new cans 3. prolonged shaking doesn't help, at least not immediately. Maybe shaking and then waiting some time, because I've had the experience of coming back a day or so later and having the same can work fine. I think there is a difference in the sound when it's spraying well and when it's not. Most recently I grabbed an old shoe box lid and used that as a test piece before aiming the can at the rocket, after the first disappointing attempt was wiped and (later) sanded off and some time passed. It looked fine on the shoe box lid, and fine on the rocket. 

[Image: img_3885.jpg]
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
(06-22-2015, 07:32 AM)Rich Holmes Wrote: ...the problem mostly is seen with gloss white, not other colors...

For me, the problems vary with each color. For instance, 2X black seems to work great every time but 2X red will be good and smooth with one use and then bubbly with the next. But 2X white? Good lord. Never again. I'm done with 2X because I just can't trust it. I never know what I'm going to get out of the nozzle.

I'm searching for an alternative right now. I bought the 96¢ Wal-Mart white and I'm trying to get the nerve to try it. Today I used the new Krylon Cover-Maxx (spelled with two x's now!) gloss white and admittedly it worked pretty good. Not perfect, there were still some flat spots, but far better than Crustoleum.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Living life dangerously...launching C's on a B field.
Honestly the wm color place paying has been THE most consistent and easy to use paying out of everything ive tried, and I've tried pretty much everything....

Best of luck! OL JR
(07-04-2015, 06:49 PM)Joe Shockcord Wrote: ...For instance, 2X black seems to work great every time...

Scratch that, or rather, sand it off. 2X black let me down today by rising up into a mottled mess, so all the Rustoleum 2X is now in the trash where it belongs. I don't have time to keep refinishing rocket projects.
Living life dangerously...launching C's on a B field.