Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gloss white pain
(07-19-2015, 09:18 PM)Joe Shockcord Wrote:
(07-04-2015, 06:49 PM)Joe Shockcord Wrote: ...For instance, 2X black seems to work great every time...

Scratch that, or rather, sand it off. 2X black let me down today by rising up into a mottled mess, so all the Rustoleum 2X is now in the trash where it belongs. I don't have time to keep refinishing rocket projects.

Weird. White's the only one that's given me problems, and I've used 2X for almost all my rockets the past couple years.

Of course you're in central Florida and I'm in central New York. Orlando RH varied from 58% to 97% yesterday; I generally don't paint if RH is above 50%. That might have something to do with it.
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
(07-20-2015, 06:09 AM)Rich Holmes Wrote: ...Of course you're in central Florida and I'm in central New York. Orlando RH varied from 58% to 97% yesterday; I generally don't paint if RH is above 50%. That might have something to do with it.

That and temperature. There's not much choice in the matter here. The challenge is trying to coordinate the right conditions with my schedule, which means I wouldn't get any painting done until September. Maybe I should switch to a brush.
Living life dangerously...launching C's on a B field.
My favorite white is Rustoleum Lacquer.  I've never been a fan of Rustoleum, but the lacquer is excellent.  The only drawback is limited colors (at least a couple years ago).  It only came in white, red, and black.  I've done several rockets in these three colors, and the results were amazing.  Since it dries quickly, masking is easy, and you get nice crisp lines.  I also use Tamiya masking tape, which is about the only tape I've had luck with when using enamels, so it worked exceptionally well with the lacquer paint.

The Rustoleum Lacquer appears to be compatible with the Model Masters and Testors lacquers in the mini cans, so you "should" have some choice in color schemes if you want to try lacquer, and have a reasonably priced white for base coats.. I've only tried Model Master silver for the tip of a white nose cone painted with the Rustoleum, and had no issues.

I do have some of the older Krylon Interior/Exterior white, and I like it alot.  (I believe this is now the Industrial formulation referred to earler.)  I've had "OK" results with the newer Indoor-Outdoor version of Krylon.  Older Rustoleums were just plain awful, IMHO. I've not tried any of the recent formualtions from any paint company, having taken a couple year hiatus from model rocketry (and buying paint).
Lee
NAR 55948, L2
In Build: Mars Snooper
Next: upscale Sky Hook (Panavia kitbash)
In Finishing:  Estes Honest John, Red Nova, Super Cobra