Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRF Vendor Fees
Here is an interesting thread on TRF. I thought it had been deleted, but appears to be just locked now.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?141399

Thread: TRF vendor fees

www.rocketryforum.com
4 mins read

Yesterday, 07:17 PM #3

CzTeacherMan
View Profile u
View Forum Posts
Lifetime Member

$25/month is ass-tronomical for our little niche market. That makes the vendor is making 5-10 sales per month JUST for TRF access. Many of our vendors are making just around 5-20 sales/month anyway. Very few are making a living at it. CTI and Aerotech are the only large companies for whom this kind of advertising fee would make any sense. But even then... Rocketry is a small hobby and TRF is really just a message board for hobbyists. If anyone has a responsibility to maintain the costs, it's us, the hobbyists.
-CzTeacherMan
TRA #15280 - QCRS, Tripoli Wisconsin, WOOSH
Level 1 - 9/28/2014 Wildman Sport on CTI H163 White Thunder
Level 2 - 5/23/2015 Wildman 3" Darkstar CTI J400 Smoky Sam
First Mile+ & Mach+ - 9/25/2015 Wildman Punisher CTI J360 Skidmark
Level 3 - 5/15/2016 Wildman Gizmo XL-DD-V CTI M1540 Imax

Yesterday, 07:28 PM #4
djs
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Lifetime Member

I'm on another forum for one of my other hobbies (no- it's not related to trolling). This forum is much larger than TRF, with way higher traffic and larger user base. It's run by one guy, who's an enthusiast, not just an "owner". Everything on the forum is free to use, and when he needs money to cover the hosting fees, etc.. he'll put out a request for donations. Usually he gets what he needs for several months at a time. He gets this money because he's cultivated an environment where people want to donate to keep it running in the way that he wants. FYI- there are no ads on this other site either.
NAR# 99285
Tripoli# 16283
L1- 4/26/2015 Madcow Cowabunga- H123SK
L2- 11/1/2015 Wildman Darkstar 2.6- J355RL
Woosh
QCRS

Yesterday, 10:05 PM #10

stickershock23
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Never Fly Naked

I guess I'll post it here.

I want to thank everyone for their support.

Ive been here on TRF of MANY MANY years and have always loved it..

but this is the last straw.. I will NO LONGER BE A PART OF THIS FORUM

Im sorry to those that only come here.

I will be doing MANY different places such as facebook (do a search you can find me there dont forget the 23) or search mark hayes im the little green guy icon..

I have talked to a LOT of others people who supported this forum for a LONG time seems many will be doing the same..

so while this thread is still hear pass it around.. you can contact me through the regular channels (e-mail is still the best) or visit my website.. (dont forget the 23)

I guess I can only say one mre thing

"SO LONG THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH"

hope to see you at a laucnh soon!
Stickershock23.com

FACEBOOK

Stickershock23@gmail.com

"Exceed Your Visions"

This is the same type of stuff that chased away Upscale CNC and plenty of others. Shame.

Today, 12:57 AM #14

SecretSquirrel
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Lifetime Member

I keep promising myself I won't post here anymore and then I go and do it. I don't know that other people were given a free pass, I think it's more an oversight situation. For quite some time, I automatically paid a monthly fee (not $25) until one day the forum cancelled my payments. I was still able to post and didn't worry about it. I don't visit regularly anymore and don't know when the fee to post situation started. But earlier this week I got a message telling me that the forum couldn't find records of any recent payments. Well yeah, they cancelled them, that generally means they would stop getting them.

It's not worth $25/mo. to post. I've been far less active on the forums lately, we're doing most of our communication through our Facebook page. We'll just continue on that path for now, it's working out well so far.
Don Magness
The Squirrel Works Model Rocketry
http://www.squirrel-works.com

Follow us on Facebook

I have seen the future and it is just like the present, only longer.

Today, 01:14 AM #16

Admin
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Administrator

Fake outrage, fake news, spread by people who have always hated on RocketryForum for their own personal gain of trying to poach members to another forum.

We had multiple Vendors complain that some people were bragging they paid nothing or $5/month that the previous owner had and which we honored for years even though with PayPal fees it came out to near nothing.

The program being discussed now is not a new program, it's what the majority of Vendors were on and now people who in some cases DIDN'T PAY were asked to pay what everyone else does, they want it back to their original price of free and have sent threatening messages about wanting their free services back. When we didn't respond to threats their new tactic is spreading lies on Facebook and here about evil businesses gouging the little guy. We had other Vendors sign-up right away, it's only a fraction of these people who want everything in life free that are trying their best to cry. It's never been free to post ads on RocketryForum, since it's near inception but not surprising there are those who think everything should handed to them.

Take your fake news back to Facebook. Build your forums and Facebook groups legitimately instead of spreading lies and spamming this forum.

Fake news? Did they really just say fake news? Jeeeeeezusssss CHRIIIST. I don't know what's more laughable--that the admin actually used that phrase in a non-ironic fashion, or that they were bitching about Facebook "lies." Hmm. Seems that would be the appropriate place to correct the falsehood--which was notably conspicuous by absence.

Was the lie that they want $300 per year from vendors?
Was the lie that they cancelled recurring payments, then complained that they weren't being paid?
Was the lie that they restrict access for vendors that don't pay?

The admin's response in that thread was unprofessional and inappropriate. Truly disgusting.

Later!

--Coop
I was on the original TRF.
For those that remember the fake TRF(http://www.therocketryforum.com) then you know how long ago that was.
Years ago I tried to buy a banner ad and was told I could not that there was not enough room for one more ad, and yet I saw new ones poppiing up.
Certain competing vendors were kept out.
I hope this forum stays true to the hobby.

PS: Does anyone know how the calendar thing works?

(07-07-2017, 12:36 PM)rdh8 Wrote: I was on the original TRF.
For those that remember the fake TRF(http://www.therocketryforum.com) then you know how long ago that was.
Years ago I tried to buy a banner ad and was told I could not that there was not enough room for one more ad, and yet I saw new ones poppiing up.
Certain competing vendors were kept out.
I hope this forum stays true to the hobby.

PS: Does anyone know how the calendar thing works?

I plugged in the launch I am heading to.
Does everyone else see it, or just me??
[Image: sigpic867_3.gif]
Robert DeHate
AMW/ProX
www.amwprox.com
TRA TAP #9956
NAR L3CC #75198
Largest single flight 81,267Ns! [Image: yikes.gif]
(07-07-2017, 12:36 PM)rdh8 Wrote: PS: Does anyone know how the calendar thing works?

I plugged in the launch I am heading to.
Does everyone else see it, or just me??

The only event I see on the calendar is the MARS launch in Geneseo, 8th and 9th.

Later!

--Coop
(07-07-2017, 06:37 AM)Coop Wrote: Fake news?  Did they really just say fake news? Jeeeeeezusssss CHRIIIST.  I don't know what's more laughable--that the admin actually used that phrase in a non-ironic fashion, or that they were bitching about Facebook "lies."  Hmm.  Seems that would be the appropriate place to correct the falsehood--which was notably conspicuous by absence.  

Was the lie that they want $300 per year from vendors?
Was the lie that they cancelled recurring payments, then complained that they weren't being paid?
Was the lie that they restrict access for vendors that don't pay?

The admin's response in that thread was unprofessional and inappropriate.  Truly disgusting.

Later!

--Coop

I dumped the Terribly Run Forum about two and a half years ago... I finally got enough one day and said screw it and haven't been back.  When the new owners took over and started going back on their word on what they'd "never do" almost immediately and turning the forum into an unusable ad-fest, coupled with a resurgence of over moderation and crap, I pulled the plug.  I knew eventually they'd completely ruin that forum and run it into the dirt.  That the owners/admin would post that shrieking "fake news" crap because they were called out on it just proves what low life's they are and how desperate for money...

Later!  OL J R
It never ceases to amaze me how people will complain about how some of these forums are run (some are run BADLY) but still participate!
The whole water cooler thing is a bad idea!!

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever