Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What's your favorite LPR rocket(s)?
Big Bertha. Or maybe Der Red Max. No, Astron Drifter. Black Widow? (sigh) Whatever I'm flying or building today.
Clear skies and straight smoke,
Mike
NAR 31689
I like almost all of the old Estes designs, but I agree that Big Bertha (which is also one of Vern Este's favorites) is a real crowd pleaser with its slow take offs..
I also liked the Cobra and Ranger clustered birds, the Drifter, and my favorite glider (which looked a little like a UFO) was the Astron Invader. I painted that red and black, and despite the paint it glided great, circling slowly....
Then there was the Farside, the Camroc and Cineroc.....
Those early Estes years were responsible for some really creative models. Smile Smile
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
I'm mostly into mid and high power these days but a go to favorite for me is the Estes Snitch saucer. It flies on just about any B or C motor, always stays in sight and lands closeby. The kids love this one too.  I modified one to fly on D motors and it's a screamer for its size. Here's a video of the stock one flying: Estes Snitch

[Image: est_snitch03.jpg]
L3 Certified
NAR #90891, TRA #14994
Clubs: CRMRC, METRA, MDRA

My current favorite is the Centuri Mach-10, although I haven't flown it yet.  From what I have been told that may change my opinion!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-08-2015, 01:05 AM)Viking Wrote: Mine, obviously, is the Viking.
All credit due ofcourse to Centuri, but, the Estes version with the little Viking man decal grabbed my attention as a little kid in the 80's, as well as the 5 sharp looking fins which stood out to me as different compared to the other kits in the hobby shop.
I saved my pocket money and it was then the first rocket kit I ever bought and built and flew, hence it holds a special place for me.
Some people poopoo the Viking, but I still love it.

Back in the 1970s, Centuri got a number of kids started in rocketry using their cub scout Aquila (now the Estes Viking).  The Aquila came in a box of 7 kits with stickers and water transfer decals.  It was a great starter kit.  It was also good for kit bash and spare parts.

Astrosaint Smile
I can more easily define the low power rockets I despise. Namely the Quark and the 220 Swift. The original Mosquito is fine by me, but those other two need to be buried in a dark corner of model rocket history.

Just about every other low power rocket is my favorite (I'll even tolerate the Porta Pot Shot and wasters of newton-seconds like flying spools and CDs).
(06-08-2015, 11:41 AM)Astrosaint Wrote: Back in the 1970s, Centuri got a number of kids started in rocketry using their cub scout Aquila (now the Estes Viking).  The Aquila came in a box of 7 kits with stickers and water transfer decals.  It was a great starter kit.  It was also good for kit bash and spare parts.

Astrosaint Smile

The Akela-1?
Guess what is on my clone to-do list Big Grin
AMRS #54
WARS #24
NASA Pegasus!
I love the simplicity and classic design of the Estes Der Red Max.  This is an old pic, and I've since expanded the family, so I'll need to update it this summer.

[Image: 021_zpsf17f3bca.jpg]
I have a soft spot in my heart for the Blue Bird Zero. 

Eddie Gochenour

Check out my builds... https://www.flickr.com/photos/ewg1967/se...469502230/