Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMW Red Max Build
Wildman is not the only source for proline or rocketpoxy, AMW has them both now. Proline has its place, i just haven't figured out what it is....

Bill Clune L3 | NAR#88583
Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
MARS Club|SRC|MDRA - Forever
Here are some basic vacuum bagging steps (call it Vacuum Bagging 101, for Dummies, or something like that) in case someone is lurking that is looking for instruction.  I'm not exactly an expert.  For more quality instruction I would search on TRF posts by the username G_T.

First start with a flat source to bag the fin against.  I chose a 12 inch x 12 inch granite tile from The Home Depot. I applied blue tape to the corners of the tile to take the sharp edges off and in order to keep the bag from pulling a hole in itself.

I added a few magazine pages followed by a sheet of wax paper to keep epoxy from bleeding back onto the tile.

A polyester fabric serves as the absorbing material and is used to soak up the excess epoxy.  Also, most supplies used were purchased from Aircraft Spruce.com

I used a green  plastic perforated release film to place on top the breather material. (note: you might see some use mylar here instead of perforated release film, to create a near perfect finish).

Place the fin on the release film.  Fin has already had 3 layers of carbon fiber applied to both sides.   I have applied a thin veil layer of fiberglass as the last layer on each side of the fin.  The FG will be sanded away later to create a smoother finish. For relatively small builds such as this one, I use a popsicle stick to drip epoxy on to fin and onto each subsequent layer, then use bondo spreader to wet out the layer in question.  This saves a lot of epoxy compared to using a foam roller, which soaks up a ton of epoxy before being saturated enough to apply to each layer.

Add another piece of release film followed by breather.

Carefully place everything inside bag.  I chose a heavy duty lawn and leaf bag from Home Depot.  Save time here (and money) and use the leaf bag instead of using vacuum bagging film and sticky tape.  This works well for 4 inch rockets and smaller. Place vacuum bag valve bottom in bag.

Tie knot in bag.

Cut small hole in bag and secure top half of valve to bottom half through hole in bag.

Attach vacuum hose and turn on pump.  In a set-up like this one, when using a cheap rotary vane pump with nothing regulating the vacuum level,  you should be drawing close to 30 inches of mercury.  If not, place your ear close to the bag and listen for leaks. Also these rotary vane pumps vent off a small amount of oil vapor, so it is best to place the pump in a well ventilated area.

I used HTR 212 laminating resin which requires 24 hours to fully cure. This epoxy  has the same consistency, look, and feel when applying as Aeropoxy 60 minute laminating resin.  The HTR-212 does have a higher heat resistance than Aeropoxy though.  Usually after about 12 hours the epoxy has solidified enough to be removed from the bag... Place in a safe place and continue to let the fin cure for another 12 hours.

After curing the fins should look something like this

I used a Dremel cutting wheel to trim the fins closer to size.  I will sand the fins edges to bring them to the expected size, and also sand the fin faces to take off the fiberglass veil layer to get a smooth surface.

Time to put the fins on.  Since the original fins did not work out,  I am not using the fin slots, and am surface mounting the fins.  
Here is a pic of the filled in fin slots.

Here are the fins being put in place using Aeropoxy ES6209.

Here, all fins are on.

Applying standard filleting techniques. I used a 38 mm propellant grain as the fillet tool. I added a couple drops of Glenmarc Rocket Poxy black dye, to increase visibility of the fillet.

A main reason for buying this kit (besides needing another DRM) was to build it with a 75mm mount.  Now that I've surface mounted the fins, I think I will leave out the motor mount and just make a 98mm to 75mm adapter.

...I'm not really breaking any new ground here. This build is about the same as my last 2 - 3 builds on the forum.
Very cool..

Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
(03-05-2018, 10:40 AM)wclune Wrote: Very cool..

Mark,

I enjoyed following your build. I'm looking forward to hear about (and possibly see-pictures) your initial flights.

Fred
(03-06-2018, 10:14 PM)FMarvinS Wrote:

Mark,

I enjoyed following your build. I'm looking forward to hear about (and possibly see-pictures) your initial flights.

Fred

Fred,

Do you want to finish this build for me? Just kidding.  Smile   But I'm getting a little tired of mixing epoxy and sanding.    Sometimes I'd rather just go build an Estes Eliminator, and launch on a couple E9s, all within a day or two.
Amen to that! Our club has a "Bucket of Rockets" for kids that show up. I really enjoy building mod-rockets and adding them to the bucket!

Been a launch Director
Founded a Club
(03-06-2018, 11:06 PM)MarkH Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 10:14 PM)FMarvinS Wrote:

Mark,

Fred

Fred,

Do you want to finish this build for me? Just kidding.  Smile   But I'm getting a little tired of mixing epoxy and sanding.    Sometimes I'd rather just go build an Estes Eliminator, and launch on a couple E9s, all within a day or two.

3/11/18 4PM EDT

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the offer but I'm currently designing my L3 build & my first 2 stager. Needless to say, I also have 3 other rockets planned for future builds. So, you might consider the Binder design aluminum fin can or the plastic prefab one offered by Giant Leap Rocketry-either one would significantly decrease the build time but might hurt the wallet (LOL). I hope you thoroughly enjoy flying the AMW Red Max.

Fred
Good luck with the L3 Fred!  Post some details and pics if you get a chance.

Time for a sloppy epoxy slinging vacuum bagging session.  Two layers of 6 oz plain weave CF and one layer 2 oz fiberglass, about 40 grams HTR-212 resin per side.

Here is the monkey in charge of watching the vacuum pump run while it cures.

That monkey looks like he has a watchful eye indeed......