Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God trackers
Well since my son and I are slowly getting into higher power rocketry and the electronics that are associated with it, I am in the market for some sort of tracking system. Would like to hear some thoughts on systems for newbies like ourselves. 
With a chute release, and altimeter on board most of our high power and mid power flights I think it would be a good investment. I am hoping to find a unit that wouldn’t necessarily need a av bay to use. . Is there something in the $200 range that would fit my bill?
Appreciate any insight. 
Dude, if you can come up with something that tracks God, you'll be famous! Smile

If you don't want to get a ham radio license,then you need something in the 900 MHz frequency band. That is the same thing that cell phones and pocket pagers use, and it is open for public use. MissileWorks has the T3 system for $150, but you need a cell phone other BluTooth device for reception.!/T3...y=25228124

You can step up to the RTx system for $290.!/RT...ort=normal

For my money, you can't beat the BRB900 by Big Red Bee. You can buy the Tx and Rx for $309. No BluTooth or cell service is needed. You do, however, need some sort of GPS navigator to walk you out to your rocket. For that, I use an old Magellan hiking navigator. Usually around $20 on Ebay.

If you are equipped for circuit board soldering, then a very inexpensive alternative is the EggFinder. The complete system (Tx and Rx) is under $100, but you will completely assemble the whole thing from small parts. If you do not have a fine tip soldering station that meets EggFinder specs, then this is not for you. But if you do, they are inexpensive and very reliable.

Other options involve getting a ham license and using a portable radio for range finding. You may have seen people at a launch walking around with a big antenna that goes "ping."

As for not having an AV bay for a tracker, here is what I do. Get a length of foam pipe insulation from Home Depot. Cut it to the interior length of your nose cone. Put the transmitter inside the insulation, put a piece of masking tape over it, then shove the whole thing into your nose cone. If you are using a plastic NC, just cut a portal in the shoulder, then put a piece of tape over it during flight. For fiberglass cones, temporarily remove the bulkhead and shove it in.

If neither of those options works, find a small, plastic container (not metal!) that will hold the Tx. Put the Tx inside, then tape-wrap it to your shock cord. Make good and sure you tape it well enough to resist the ejection charge and gasses and not get blown off the cord.
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
Hahahaha I’ve edited that title twice now and it still hasn’t fixed it.