Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sand Auger
I posted this rocket over at the place that won't let me in anymore. So, I thought why not try here?

The top of this rocket, as shown, is a plastic beach umbrella holder. The bottom was scavenged. 

I made a Rocksim model as best I could, which of course doesn't address the inherent screwiness of the nose.  The actual unloaded CG is at 22 inches with a static margin of 2.25 based on the max frontal diameter. Loaded with a G74, I get a margin of 1.5 and plenty of rod speed.

Nevertheless, this project has been shelved for a year as I didn't know what the screw nose would do. I also considered just using the screw part without the handles.

There is always one way to find out for sure, but I wanted to see if there were other opinions. I'm still leaning towards shelving this one. I fly a lot of crazy stuff, but for some reason this one bugs me.
Member of MDRA, NAR and NARHAMS;
Level-2 certified but mostly fly G and under;
Volunteer compiler of manufacturer's news for ROCKETS Magazine.
I would think it might tend to spin, but the fins would tend to counter that.
Depending on their SA they might/might not win.
One thing for certain, it would be an interesting launch to observe... from a distance. Wink

I would however, if you are going to fly this, cut off the handles.
I think you may otherwise run into stability issues, regardless of the calculated 1.5 margin...
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
And here I thought it was a rocket powered post driver. Interesting design.
It might yet become a post driver Smile

(06-17-2015, 07:21 PM)Greg Young Wrote: I would think it might tend to spin, but the fins would tend to counter that.
Depending on their SA they might/might not win.
One thing for certain, it would be an interesting launch to observe... from a distance. Wink

I would however, if you are going to fly this, cut off the handles.
I think you may otherwise run into stability issues, regardless of the calculated 1.5 margin...

(06-17-2015, 07:53 PM)rharshberger Wrote: And here I thought it was a rocket powered post driver. Interesting design.

I'm also worried about the mass of the handles. I'm thinking it might tend to cone ... from the front instead of the back.

Oy...I screwed up that quoting. Thanks to both of you for the comments.
Did you fly this one yet?
Nope, still haven't convinced myself...
It must fly! You are the MAN with the EKRANOPLAN! Gas Dynamic Stabilization will save you. Trust in thrust and nose weight and kind rocket gods and good luck and a pad Far Far Away and nice wet soil with no trees and. . .