Rocketry Center Forums
Building a Data Base - Printable Version

+- Rocketry Center Forums (https://rocketrycenter.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussions (https://rocketrycenter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Rocketry-Related (https://rocketrycenter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Building a Data Base (/showthread.php?tid=173)

Pages: 1 2

Building a Data Base - JEAdams - 07-11-2015

Hey guys;

I took inventory the other day and wrote down everything I have, not including built or in the process of building or painting rockets on hand.
I'm currently building a data base of what I have and what I'm going to do with them.
The thing is, the one's I always wanted as a kid, I am trying to collect 3 of each.
One for me to build and fly, and one each for each of my 2 sons to pass along to them when I pass mortal life and leave it to them what they want to do with them.
I am not the most computer literate person. I learned spreadsheets and data base on a Tandy computer through their tutorials.
Threw the years, I adapted those learning skills into Works for Windows. Which I am using to do this data base.
I know that Works is no longer, and Access is the data base of age.
But my Office I'm using is still 2000. And I never ventured into the vastness of Access.
I try and keep things as simple as I can.
I'm pretty sure that 2000 can import works files, and from there into a more recent version of Office.
I'm doing this so I know what I have because my living space is so limited and I have so many boxes full of unbuilt rockets.
And to know what I still need to purchase to complete my mission to leave my sons something and still have something to fly in that era.
As life goes on, it just seams to grow. Because all the new rockets someday that I am building and flying will soon be OOP.
So I have to make sure I have the proper amount of certain rockets in boxes to leave my sons that I want to.
Maybe this is all a waste of time, but at least I am trying to keep up on things. Better than a note pad that no one will ever look at.
And I will be able to copy and paste it in my will someday, and print out the report what I have and where I want it go.
Better be soon! Life isn't as long as I thought it was.
Just wanted to share, Kick me if ya want. I'm use to it.
Needed a break from this data base stuff, eyes are going buggy. Sick

RE: Building a Data Base - phlash - 07-11-2015

(07-11-2015, 02:23 AM)JEAdams Wrote: ...But my Office I'm using is still 2000. And I never ventured into the vastness of Access.

Simple database is an oxymoron!

If you have data in a spreadsheet, you can import it into a table - then you can use Access' table analyzer to break out the repeated data into its own table (which is then referenced by its Primary Key).  For the SEVRA Database, I have a bunch of tables - one for flyers (name, mailing and email info, NAR/TRA info), one for Level Certs, one for Motors, one for launch rods/rails, one for launch sites, one for launch hosts, one for launch dates, one for flights.  Everything relates and very little is duplicated.

RE: Building a Data Base - j.a.duke - 07-13-2015

(07-11-2015, 02:23 AM)JEAdams Wrote: Hey guys;

I took inventory the other day and wrote down everything I have, not including built or in the process of building or painting rockets on hand.
I'm currently building a data base of what I have and what I'm going to do with them.
The thing is, the one's I always wanted as a kid, I am trying to collect 3 of each.
One for me to build and fly, and one each for each of my 2 sons to pass along to them when I pass mortal life and leave it to them what they want to do with them.
I am not the most computer literate person. I learned spreadsheets and data base on a Tandy computer through their tutorials.
Threw the years, I adapted those learning skills into Works for Windows. Which I am using to do this data base.
I know that Works is no longer, and Access is the data base of age.
But my Office I'm using is still 2000. And I never ventured into the vastness of Access.
I try and keep things as simple as I can.
I'm pretty sure that 2000 can import works files, and from there into a more recent version of Office.
I'm doing this so I know what I have because my living space is so limited and I have so many boxes full of unbuilt rockets.
And to know what I still need to purchase to complete my mission to leave my sons something and still have something to fly in that era.
As life goes on, it just seams to grow. Because all the new rockets someday that I am building and flying will soon be OOP.
So I have to make sure I have the proper amount of certain rockets in boxes to leave my sons that I want to.
Maybe this is all a waste of time, but at least I am trying to keep up on things. Better than a note pad that no one will ever look at.
And I will be able to copy and paste it in my will someday, and print out the report what I have and where I want it go.
Better be soon! Life isn't as long as I thought it was.
Just wanted to share, Kick me if ya want. I'm use to it.
Needed a break from this data base stuff, eyes are going buggy. Sick

If you let me know what you want to track, I think I can build something that you (and others) will like.  I’ve been meaning to build something like this for a while to catalog my unbuilt collection as well.  I think we can even include links to plans, the various sites with info, etc.

I’ll look at something like http://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/estes_kit_list.pdf as the basis of what we can track.  Anything else you’d like to see (picture(s)?, etc.)

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

RE: Building a Data Base - JEAdams - 07-14-2015

I would to look up rockets by;
Manufacturer
Skill Level
Engine size: 13, 18, 24, & 29mm
Max. Altitude listed.
Upgrades such as Engine Mounts and Recovery options for a certain rocket.
If it's a duplicate with upgrades (1 stock, 1 with upgraded Engine Mount and/or recovery system/electronics.
Built or unbuilt.
Build status, like in assembly, ready for primer, ready for paint, etc.
If it's OOP and collectable.
And in my case, if it's for me to build and fly, or for one of my 2 son's collection (so I don't screw up and build something ment to leave to them when I'm gone.
Maybe even include a flight status card for each rocket each time it's launched and what went wrong and repairs needed. Materials is not needed unless it's electronics.
I tried for 2 days, but Works just isn't powerful enough.
I totally lost in access.
Help would be greatly appreciated by a database expert.
I know it's a lot of crap to try and put together. I realize this now.
I can do it on paper no problem, I just have a very, bery hard time reading and understanding instructions.
So eye's and hands on would be a big help.

RE: Building a Data Base - JEAdams - 07-15-2015

I'm still working on this, but I'm no data base guroo.
I'm almost ready to give up and just use the old cards like mom use to use for her receipe's.
Just divide them by Manufacture and Rocket name. (still have mom's old steel card file from the 50's)

RE: Building a Data Base - phlash - 07-15-2015

I've been thinking of doing this for a while but haven't figured out how to tie it into the club DB, so I haven't bothered. I'll try to throw something together this weekend...

RE: Building a Data Base - j.a.duke - 07-18-2015

I’ve started work on this-will have a little more time in the next week or two.

I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers,
Jon

RE: Building a Data Base - JEAdams - 07-25-2015

Anyone have news on the data base?
I've wasted endless hours of building time on this and I just can't get the info search to work right.
Wish I still had my rocket lab. They would all be on peg board hooks instead of in boxes for instant access.
I also want to start a list of rockets that are OOP and would like to have.
And of course, the ever growing wish list and where to buy it.
If everything can be put into one data base, sorted by search report...
I just don't have the knowledge to do it.

RE: Building a Data Base - phlash - 07-25-2015

I'm making good progress on mine. I'm working nibbles at a time, but it's coming together nicely. Here's a spreadsheet with examples of the tables (so far). If you find something lacking, let me know and I'll see if it can be added.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12567537/RocketLogTables.xlsx

RE: Building a Data Base - JEAdams - 07-25-2015

Can you save it in an older format?
My Office 2000 can't read it.