Rocketry Center Forums
Estes Bull Pup! - Printable Version

+- Rocketry Center Forums (https://rocketrycenter.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussions (https://rocketrycenter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Low Power (https://rocketrycenter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Estes Bull Pup! (/showthread.php?tid=819)

Estes Bull Pup! - bill gibson - 03-05-2018

Has anyone flying a Bull Pup with a D10-7 motor?
I've flown mine many times with a C6-7, but I'd like to get a little more altitude!
Any issues? Thanks Smile!!

RE: Estes Bull Pup! - MarkH - 03-06-2018

I'm not familiar with a C10.  Do you mean the Estes C11-7?  The C11 has the same total impulse as the C6 so they should produce about the same altitude.  The C11 will give it a quicker lift-off, but maybe slightly less altitude due to higher velocity and more drag.  On the other hand, the higher velocity may result in a more vertical flight if it is windy compared to the the C6, giving the C11 the win.

RE: Estes Bull Pup! - bill gibson - 03-07-2018

(03-06-2018, 11:00 PM)MarkH Wrote: I'm not familiar with a C10.  Do you mean the Estes C11-7?  The C11 has the same total impulse as the C6 so they should produce about the same altitude.  The C11 will give it a quicker lift-off, but maybe slightly less altitude due to higher velocity and more drag.  On the other hand, the higher velocity may result in a more vertical flight if it is windy compared to the the C6, giving the C11 the win.

Oops! My mistake, sorry....I just picked up a pack of Aerotech D10-7 18mm motors.....they have approximentely twice the impulse of the Estes C6 motors!

RE: Estes Bull Pup! - BARGeezer - 03-14-2018

Whenever I fly a low power bird with a composite 18mm motor it always gets oohs and aahs from the spectators. Yes, you will get higher altitudes than a C6. But don't blink, or you'll miss the takeoff from the launch pad. Especially with a light rocket like the Bullpup, it will leap off the pad like a bat out of hell and be a speck in the sky in an instant. Make sure your motor mount and fins are securely attached. And have fun!

RE: Estes Bull Pup! - Trident - 03-14-2018

I have not used the D10, but I have used Aerotech’s D13 reload in the 18/20 RMS casing. I tested in a BT-60 sized rocket, and it screamed off the pad. Then I flew my Mars Lander on the same D13. I had heard that a Mars Lander on a C6 was not a great combination. It was a fantastic flight. It too got off the pad very fast.
The 18/20 can also use a D24 reload. I’ll try my Mars Lander on it next. Looking at the NAR thrust curves, the two reloads have very similar curves. Peak thrust and average thrust are not that much different.

RE: Estes Bull Pup! - bill gibson - 03-18-2018

(03-14-2018, 09:19 PM)Trident Wrote: I have not used the D10, but I have used Aerotech’s D13 reload in the 18/20 RMS casing.  I tested in a BT-60 sized rocket, and it screamed off the pad.  Then I flew my Mars Lander on the same D13. I had heard that a Mars Lander on a C6 was not a great combination. It was a fantastic flight.  It too got off the pad very fast.
The 18/20 can also use a D24 reload. I’ll try my Mars Lander on it next.  Looking at the NAR thrust curves, the two reloads have very similar curves. Peak thrust and average thrust are not that much different.

Interesting stuff Trident! This will be my first experience with an 18mm motor beyond a C6 black powder......should be FUN Smile Smile Cool !!