• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey look, a new forum!
Hey look, another new forum!

www.rocketryspot.com
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3
Patell Manufacturing Facebook Page
Good... choice is a good thing...

Tired of all the discussions being held hostage by a few whiners and crybabies who make enough noise to get anything they disagree with or find "offensive" (because they disagree with it) moderated or eliminated...

Don't understand WHY people want to cater to those types... I'd tell them "grow a backbone and deal with it, cupcake!" and be done... If someone is SO thin-skinned they can't take someone disagreeing with them publicly, then they shouldn't participate in the forums AT ALL IMHO...

IMHO, giving in to those types is just the wrong thing to do...

Later!  OL JR :Smile
I posted over in YORF, so won't waste bandwidth to repeat it here, contrasting this to another area of my interests - holiday decorating. We started off with one forum, and over the years, due to bickering of some folks wound up with eventually 8 forums, subsequent to which most of the postings all died off on all of them, primarily as folks were scattered about. Now almost all posting is on FB is a number of groups, which bothers me, as with the forums you know for the most part they are run by folks in those areas of interest, but on FB, they are under the ultimate control of FB admins, and if FB goes down or decides to pull the plugs on groups, all of that information will be toast....

OL JR, I have to comment that I work for a state agency, and we are required to take (we're now up to 12!!) on-line courses every year that relate to dealing with all sorts of sensitivities and expectations that the general population and our own workforce has these days.
Honestly I feel like I should have been born 100 years ago, as I would have been much happier (although I would have missed out on rockets and other interests I have...)
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
(11-07-2015, 05:59 PM)Greg Young Wrote: I posted over in YORF, so won't waste bandwidth to repeat it here, contrasting this to another area of my interests - holiday decorating. We started off with one forum, and over the years, due to bickering of some folks wound up with eventually 8 forums, subsequent to which most of the postings all died off on all of them, primarily as folks were scattered about. Now almost all posting is on FB is a number of groups, which bothers me, as with the forums you know for the most part they are run by folks in those areas of interest, but on FB, they are under the ultimate control of FB admins, and if FB goes down or decides to pull the plugs on groups, all of that information will be toast....

OL JR, I have to comment that I work for a state agency, and we are required to take (we're now up to 12!!) on-line courses every year that relate to dealing with all sorts of sensitivities and expectations that the general population and our own workforce has these days.
Honestly I feel like I should have been born 100 years ago, as I would have been much happier (although I would have missed out on rockets and other interests I have...)

Oh, Lord, don't I know it...

When I was in the police academy, you should have heard the groaning from the instructors about the yearly mandatory "sensitivity training" required for officers...

Thing is, it's about like the drug programs we were forced to attend in high school... They'd trot in some burned out druggies who were on parole and fulfilling court-ordered requirements to "tell their story", or else they'd done their time and had a 'change of heart" and cleaned up their lives, but told their stories of the damage they'd done, or they'd wheel in some guy who ran from the cops and ended up paralyzed in a car crash or something, etc. etc. etc...   For 99.5% of the kids, it's a total waste of time and effort, because generally there are TWO standard responses--  1) for the stoners/dope heads, they'd laugh and giggle and were like "look at that moron-- he was stupid enough to get caught/get hurt/whatever-- that'll never happen to *ME*..."  2) for the "straight" kids who didn't smoke dope and wouldn't and didn't like kids who did, the response was, "Yep, tell me something I don't already know..."  MAYBE there's 1-2 kids in the WHOLE SCHOOL who it actually made them sit down and think about their life choices and actions... which I guess is enough to make it worth the effort, but still...

IMHO, and from my experience, the same is true with "sensitivity training" and other such nonsense... regardless of profession, there are basically 3 kinds of people... 1) some folks who are going to abuse their position or authority (as example, some whites who become cops merely to give blacks a hard time, or blacks or hispanics who become cops to give whites a hard time, etc...) 2) folks who are going to treat others the way they wish to be treated, with decency and humanity (for the most part) and will generally "do the right thing", and 3) a VERY FEW individuals who fall between those two categories...

"Sensitivity training" is NOT going to convince ANYBODY from the first group to change their ways and treat everybody equally... For the folks in the second group who already treat everyone respectfully, it's a TOTAL waste of their time and energy (tell me something I don't already know or do) and maybe, just MAYBE, there's 1-2 people in a huge organization for which the training actually influences how they treat someone... *MAYBE*.  Personally, I'm not convinced it's worth the effort...

And of course, every year there's about a million new things that *someone* finds offensive or gets upset about and has to be coddled over, and most of it is absolute nonsense...

Later!  OL JR Smile
(11-03-2015, 01:17 PM)rstaff3 Wrote: My entry into forums are 'today's posts', which I have linked in my browser's header.

Yeah, that's usually the first thing I do when I join a new forum - find the "today's posts" link and bookmark it.

http://rocketrycenter.com/search.php?action=getdaily

Doug

(11-05-2015, 12:36 PM)luke strawwalker Wrote: ... and a stupid pop-up box in the middle of the page that says "Rocketry Center Forum says "Thank you for your search, you will now be taken to the results page- click here if you don't want to wait any longer".  Really??  Can't it just go directly to the friggin results without the extraneous crap??

Ditto.  While extra key strokes aren't required to deal with that, I can't help but wonder if it's not adding to the delay of loading the new page.

(Reminds me of the new MS products.  When you want to save a file in Office now, you can't simply hit <alt>f,a and type in a file name. Now you have the added step of clicking on "Browse". It's not the extra key stroke, it's having to do the extra key stroke 500 times a day.  Seems like none of the software writers at MS nowadays are power-users.  Some of us actually like to go fast.)

Doug

This is stumping me.  Why are my replies, to two separate posts, showing up cascaded together as one long reply?  Is there a switch somewhere to change how my posts are displayed within a thread?

Doug

(11-09-2015, 12:31 PM)plano-doug Wrote:
(11-03-2015, 01:17 PM)rstaff3 Wrote: My entry into forums are 'today's posts', which I have linked in my browser's header.

Yeah, that's usually the first thing I do when I join a new forum - find the "today's posts" link and bookmark it.

http://rocketrycenter.com/search.php?action=getdaily

Doug

(11-05-2015, 12:36 PM)luke strawwalker Wrote: ... and a stupid pop-up box in the middle of the page that says "Rocketry Center Forum says "Thank you for your search, you will now be taken to the results page- click here if you don't want to wait any longer".  Really??  Can't it just go directly to the friggin results without the extraneous crap??

Ditto.  While extra key strokes aren't required to deal with that, I can't help but wonder if it's not adding to the delay of loading the new page.

(Reminds me of the new MS products.  When you want to save a file in Office now, you can't simply hit <alt>f,a and type in a file name. Now you have the added step of clicking on "Browse". It's not the extra key stroke, it's having to do the extra key stroke 500 times a day.  Seems like none of the software writers at MS nowadays are power-users.  Some of us actually like to go fast.)

Doug

This is stumping me.  Why are my replies, to two separate posts, showing up cascaded together as one long reply?  Is there a switch somewhere to change how my posts are displayed within a thread?

Doug

There is another thread about that. I believe it can be disabled. Do a quick search....
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet