Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off Topic Forum?
IMHO, we need some kind of Catchall forum for those important (or unimportant) items that we'd like to share that have little or nothing to do with rocketry.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

(06-16-2015, 02:39 AM)K Wrote: IMHO, we need some kind of Catchall forum for those important (or unimportant) items that we'd like to share that have little or nothing to do with rocketry.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

No, we don't.  That's what's plaguing TRF and YORF lately and what probably caused the owners to start this forum.  I'm for sticking with strict rocketry content.
might want to check out post #4 under "What I'd like to see in this website" in the forum help area......no off topic sections
Quote:Rich Vanleer
Tripoli Level 2 #12313 
There are two other rocketry forums where members can make non-rocketry related posts. They have lots of sharing there. Therefore, there is no reason to have one here. Let the community have a forum that is exclusively rocketry and see how it thrives or dies. I'm betting that it will thrive with ample content, rocketry content.
"I wanted it to be as clean as that operating room where they're gonna cut out yer heart!"
Stockdale Will Will Stockdale
"Last name first first name last."
While I can understand that there are those who would want a pure rocketry forum with no catchall, what about important hobby related announcements like the death of Carl McLawthorn? or life anouncements like the birth of a child? or my news... I finally graduated. I feel that there should be a place for things like that.
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

I would view announcements like Carl's death as important because it is relevant to the hobby. But one of my complaints about TRF and YORF is the incredibly low signal to noise ratio (Post a picture that makes you laugh/Forum Games/Word Association/Pizza Hut Dog Bites Pizza/Transfinancial/Count Dooku/Happy Birthday!, etc.). These things clog up the feed so much that it becomes burdensome to filter through them. And, frankly, the rapid proliferation of those threads makes the place a lot less interesting to me.

I am also not a fan of catch-all threads like "What did you do rocket wise today", as they have no content that you can follow along with. At the same time, people tend to post some interesting rocketry-related things there on rare occasions and I'd prefer they start a new thread so you could read about what they did and comment on it without having to sort through all the posts that say "I didn't get anything done" or "I bought some epoxy".
NAR #96751, Level 2
Mayhem Rocketry, LLC
That's a nice rocket you have there...if you're looking for me, I'll be under my car.
I think there should be a "Catch-all" subforum for relevant, rocketry-related stuff. There's no place to ask if anyone knew what was up with TRF. The announcement about Carl is a perfect example.

I can easily ignore the 'what did you do' thread so I don't know if that even matters.
Member of MDRA, NAR and NARHAMS;
Level-2 certified but mostly fly G and under;
Volunteer compiler of manufacturer's news for ROCKETS Magazine.
I'm a fan of the zero off-topic rule, but I do agree that a 'Rocketry News & Important Anouncements' or similar sub-fora would make sense.
AMRS #54
WARS #24
I'm with wfcook. Forum for hobby rocketry news: good. Forum for "I finally graduated"... Nah. I'd like to go along with the admin's goal of an on-topic-only forum as an alternative to TRF and YORF, where you can announce graduations and births and bowling 200 and playing ukulele recitals all you like. Those forums are there for people who want that kind of thing, and this is here for people who don't (and both are available for people who don't care one way or the other!).

And congratulations, by the way!
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
I like the rocketry related news sub forum idea too,,,,,but again just rocketry related stuff!!
Quote:Rich Vanleer
Tripoli Level 2 #12313