Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FREE...
Heart
There is no Meet n Greet here, so I'm just saying Hello to everyone.
I really hope this place takes off.
As this place grows, I hope to get into Cert. 1, dual deploy and learn what the heck cable cutters are and how they work.
I'm venturing from, "Over There" (Woody's Workshop)  to see what happens here.
Hope it works out.
I've been on n off again since the late 60's.
Haven't flown anything past an Estes D so far, but have a bunch of kits in the build pile that will take me way beyond that.
BTW, Estes is having a sale right now. Wish I had the funds to make a few more purchases.
Don't belong to NRA or anything else. Always have launched in my life long friends farm fields.
Guess that will have to change just to get engines in the future.
But until then, I just keep building.
Until the SSDI finally arrives and can actually afford to launch and join NRA.
Which is confusing to me. NRA National Rifle Association?
Or is it NAR? I can never remember which is which. Good for a laugh now again though!
I think they go hand in hand cause you shooting something into the air.
Anyways, Greetings all.
Sorry...  I'm a little confused...  I want to be 100%...  Over "there" you're Woody's Workshop... Right?

FWIW...
NRA stands for the National Rifle Association, whereas, NAR is the National Association of Rocketry.

Welcome!  Just be aware, there's a lot of people who don't like off topic (non-rocketry) stuff here.  Then again, there's not a lot of people here... yet.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Guys, I moved the thread over here, which is a more appropriate location.
We'll talk about establishing a welcome/introductory section, as soon as we get a moment.
It's just been crazy busy of late...
(07-02-2015, 01:27 AM)JEAdams Wrote: Heart
As this place grows, I hope to get into Cert. 1, dual deploy and learn what the heck cable cutters are and how they work.
Hope it works out.
Haven't flown anything past an Estes D so far, but have a bunch of kits in the build pile that will take me way beyond that.
BTW, Estes is having a sale right now. Wish I had the funds to make a few more purchases.
Don't belong to NRA or anything else. Always have launched in my life long friends farm fields.
Or is it NAR? I can never remember which is which. Good for a laugh now again though!
Anyways, Greetings all.

Welcome aboard, Woody.  Glad to see you posting here.  The user interface is pretty clean and simple so no issues with your browser running amok.

(07-02-2015, 02:31 AM)K Wrote: Sorry...  I'm a little confused...  I want to be 100%...  Over "there" you're Woody's Workshop... Right?

FWIW...
NRA stands for the National Rifle Association, whereas, NAR is the National Association of Rocketry.

Welcome!  Just be aware, there's a lot of people who don't like off topic (non-rocketry) stuff here.  Then again, there's not a lot of people here... yet.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

I have both an NRA and a NAR sticker side by side on the bumper of my truck. It's always a conversation starter at either range.

(07-02-2015, 08:19 AM)darkstar rising Wrote: Guys, I moved the thread over here, which is a more appropriate location.
We'll talk about establishing a welcome/introductory section, as soon as we get a moment.
It's just been crazy busy of late...

Well, that's interesting.  I seem to be replying to everyone in the thread and clicking on the minus quote doesn't eliminate the extra quoted posts...curious.
Kit (aka "Cranky Kong"), Certified Rocket Monkey
"We were promised jet packs!"

2015: Total Impulse: 2,017.78 Ns - 58% K motor
Since 2010: Impulse: 11,019.58 Ns - 8% N motor

Or is it NAR? I can never remember which is which. Good for a laugh now again though

Cover all your bases and join both  Smile

NRA - National Rifle Association - Annual Dues $50  (Discounts available down to about $25)
NAR - National Association of Rocketry - Annual Dues $62 - Includes Insurance.

and don't forget Tripoli - $70 first year, $60/year thereafter - Also includes insurance.
--
NAR / TRA
Level 1 - Estes Leviathan - CTI 164-H90 Classic
Level 2 - MadCow Sensor - CTI 716-J280-16A Smokey Sam
Kit, go to the bottom of your screen and select new reply, instead of selecting quote at the bottom of the post.
That will eliminate all of the replying to everyone issue.
No minuses to worry about! Wink
Greg Young - L3
TRA 00234
NAR 42065
Thanks, Greg.
Kit (aka "Cranky Kong"), Certified Rocket Monkey
"We were promised jet packs!"

2015: Total Impulse: 2,017.78 Ns - 58% K motor
Since 2010: Impulse: 11,019.58 Ns - 8% N motor
Hope it works out.
Anyways, Greetings all.

Welcome. I also belong to the AMA "American Motorcycle Association" not the American Medical Association. All these groups use initials, easy to get mixed up. Anyhoo welcome to the forum and enjoy your time here. Lots of brains to tap into.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com
Like us on Facebook
I can explain cable cutters. A cable cutter is a small, hollow, metallic chamber with one closed end, one open end, and aligned holes on opposing sides.

Inside the chamber goes a little piston. You insert an igniter, that is connected to a DD altimeter, and shove it and some BP into the chamber. You have a threaded closure at the open end that the igniter goes through.

A standard cable-tie goes through the opposing holes, and wraps around your chute/Nomex burrito. The chute cannot open until the cable-tie is cut.

You can use motor ejection to eject the nose cone and pull out the chute burrito; but the chute can't open because it is wrapped by the cable-tie. This unopened chute acts like a drogue, and the rocket free falls until the DD altimeter detects your mains altitude.

The ejection charge fires. The BP in the chamber ignites and explodes, shoving the piston into the cable-tie, and cutting the cable-tie. The chute now opens and the rocket floats down the remaining distance under main chute.

You also have a little piece of Kevlar thread to hold the cable cutter to the rocket after it lets go of the chute.

The whole point is to simulate DD with a single chute. And if you use motor ejection, it eliminates the need for charge wells and tons of BP. About 0.1 grams is all it takes. You still need to customize the rocket to hold an altimeter bay, but if you put it in the NC, then you don't need a coupler and don't need to extend your rocket.
John S.
NAR #96911
TRA #15253
MDRA
Level 1, 2014-Mar-15 -- Aerotech Sumo, H133BS
Level 2, 2014-Jun-21 -- Giant Leap Vertical Assault, J240RL
Level 3, 2016-03-12 -- MAC Performance Radial Flyer, M1101WH, 13,028 feet
(07-02-2015, 03:02 PM)Right Wing Wacko Wrote: Cover all your bases and join both  Smile

NRA - National Rifle Association - Annual Dues $50  (Discounts available down to about $25)
NAR - National Association of Rocketry - Annual Dues $62 - Includes Insurance.
What the heck, join the National Association of Realtors while you're at it.
Rich Holmes
Camillus, NY
Secretary / newsletter editor
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com