Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July 2015 Community Competition Build: Estes Omega
Ok, here's the plan...  

For the first Community Competition Build, I'll be building an Estes Omega K-52P.  I'll clone it with modern parts (a mixture of Estes and Semroc parts), and I'll probably use the decals I scored earlier this year on Ebay, rather than one of the sets I have from Excelsior, Squirrel Works, or Stickershock.  I'll leave off the blue and black Cineroc/Omega decal seen in the catalogs, as it was never sent with the original kit so far as I've been able to determine.  The only major deviation from the original design will be the TTW fins that I'll be using, and the vented centering rings I'll use for the booster's motor mount (less potential for problems with the gap staging.

I won't be able to begin the actual build until Monday (July 6) at the earliest due to the work I'll be doing over the holiday weekend (starting later today).

In the meantime, I managed to do some research.  According to his own words, the Omega took him about 20 minutes to design.  Which he wrote about in a series of posts called "Ask Mike" currently found on YORF.

He was hired by Vern Estes after designing the Cineroc (who he almost walked out on, after being left in the lobby of Estes Corp. for 2 hours).  Mike was instrumental in a number of classic Estes designs including the Astrocam 110, and he also helped invent the Cox corporation's Glow Plug.

Sadly, he passed away from pancreatic cancer on September 7, 2010.  His tombstone includes images of the Saturn V, and the Cineroc as it appeared in the mid-1970's catalogs.

[Image: 58860261_134849643236.jpg]
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Is Mike's grave in Colorado?  I had no idea such an amazing headstone was done.  What a great tribute to Mike!

I had the good fortune to meet Mike at NARAM-52 in Pueblo, Colorado, about a month before he passed away.  He was in the Estes booth, and visibly very weak, but I spent a few minutes talking to him.  The Estes staff at their booth was very nice, and asked me if I'd like to meet him after I had bought one of the re-issued Saturn Vs.  (This was the event that Estes introduced their re-issue of the Saturn V kit.  They offered to have Mike sign it.)  I probably should have removed the plastic wrap, because afterward I was concerned the signature would wipe off.  I could not bear the thought of seeing it get opened up.  I believe it was kit #10 off the line.  I'll have to look again and see.  (All the Saturns they were selling were numbered.)

At some point I suppose I should donate it to some group to save for posterity, or auction off for a worthy cause.  I doubt I could ever just sell it off to the highest bidder.
Lee
NAR 55948, L2
In Build: Mars Snooper
Next: upscale Sky Hook (Panavia kitbash)
In Finishing:  Estes Honest John, Red Nova, Super Cobra
(07-02-2015, 07:20 PM)Trident Wrote: Is Mike's grave in Colorado?  I had no idea such an amazing headstone was done.  What a great tribute to Mike!

I had the good fortune to meet Mike at NARAM-52 in Pueblo, Colorado, about a month before he passed away.  He was in the Estes booth, and visibly very weak, but I spent a few minutes talking to him.  The Estes staff at their booth was very nice, and asked me if I'd like to meet him after I had bought one of the re-issued Saturn Vs.  (This was the event that Estes introduced their re-issue of the Saturn V kit.  They offered to have Mike sign it.)  I probably should have removed the plastic wrap, because afterward I was concerned the signature would wipe off.  I could not bear the thought of seeing it get opened up.  I believe it was kit #10 off the line.  I'll have to look again and see.  (All the Saturns they were selling were numbered.)

At some point I suppose I should donate it to some group to save for posterity, or auction off for a worthy cause.  I doubt I could ever just sell it off to the highest bidder.

Yes, according to findagrave.com, he's buried at:

Lakeside Cemetery 
Canon City
Fremont County
Colorado, USA
NAR #100544

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack." 
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.